Thursday 31 May 2012

Jubilant

How many words and images can be associated with the Diamond Jubilee? This is the current trend we Brits have succumbed to and with good reason you may think, we should show our national pride, but does everything have to be stamped with the flag: red, white and blue on products, businesses, houses and people too. A trend which will unfortunately last until long after the Jubilympics and in Queen Victoria's most quoted words: I do not approve.

Flying the flag for your country is equivalent to a caveman beating his chest. It's a statement that physically says: 'This is my territory', 'I'm proud to be British, or x, y and z etc.' Flags symbolise your allegiance. Where you've been born and bred or who you've pledged loyalty to. A flag doesn't just represent a country, it represents you. You're a product of the country too. Your identity forever affiliated with the national flag and its head of state. Is that why I disapprove? Yes, but no. No, but yes. I don't know. I've been attacked by indecision...

In my opinion, too much national pride can be dangerous. There's nothing wrong in championing your beliefs or country if it doesn't ostracise or harm others, but when people can no longer be tolerant or objective it's a problem. A flag can get contaminated with violence. Euro 2012 is one such event that hasn't been adequately addressed by FIFA, where football is being used as a front for racist taunts and out-of-control aggression. Should Poland/Ukraine have been selected for this tournament? It damages the sport and the impressions you form of the host nations. The same could be said for the recent Eurovision. If the stories are to be believed, people were forced out of their homes to build the venue. Is it right that we separate politics from awarding prestigious events to a country? Shouldn't its policies and human rights be independently reviewed and inspected?

Flying the flag for any event has come to be expected. In yer face, there's no discreet about it. Bunting makes me feel distinctly unpatriotic. It's a non-verbal cliché that stereotypes your beliefs as an individual. I distrust it. But then I'm one of those: an ambivalent Brit, a whinging Pom. That's right I'm declaring myself as a classic VM: a Victor Meldrew type and I'm remarkably jubilant about it!