Thursday 20 June 2019

Tortoise Shell

In moments when technology malfunctions I wish I could fall back on the 'old ways' but that's not always possible because the old equipment no longer exists (or there are no parts to help it function) or the brain has adapted so well I can't remember how to use it and look at it (if I still own such an antiquated item) with utter bewilderment, and a growing sense of frustration.
When it was the washing machine I wanted a mangle or a tub you manually operate; when it was the flat-screen TV, I a wanted a box where to change channels you had to get up and push the buttons; when it was the kettle, I wanted one you could heat on the hob (and a hob you could bring it to boil on) until it sung, rather than having to resort to a saucepan; and when it was the laptop I yearned for a manual or electronic typewriter. Just to be able to tap away, in spite of more pressing concerns.
We've been forced down this line and, for the most part, I detest it because when it goes wrong you're screwed, and have to take measures that are not as uncomplicated as they could be. Particularly if you're a single woman of a certain mindset and of limited means, including knowledge and confidence in these matters. Actually being single and a woman is not important, though I do think it still means you can be preyed upon or undermined, where sometimes even just being labelled so can make you feel small. But who's doing the labelling here? Oh, it's me! Hmm, interesting...
No, I will not follow this diversion, as diverting as it might prove to be because it could also be the undoing of me, and since this is being drafted by pen on paper my words are going uncounted and the space allotted to me is not the same as staring at a half-filled Word document or typewritten page. I do not want to harshly (or hastily) edit what I set down here now when I come to set it (and see it) in print. Though I know already that will indeed be the case: I will censor myself, cut or expand. We all do that, no, used to do that, unwittingly or knowingly, because these days it seems some people have removed those filters, from themselves and that of others. Is that or isn't it a good thing?
It's confusing, that's what it is. What can I say? What can't I say? What will offend, even if that wasn't my intention? What will be misconstrued from the slip of a tongue? and not from as is now usually the case a slip of a finger since the words here will have been dictated already to paper and I'll be merely copying.
I will not change a line! But then again, I might, because I might not be able to resist phrasing it better or doing away with it altogether. I've even struggled not to do that when typing an employer's letters. Are you sure you want to put it that way? Well, okay...said with a shrug and a rising of eyebrows... you're the boss.
This penning of words is rather freeing though I did have to adjust my brain upon picking up the ballpoint. Thoughts directed by pen somehow do not form the same as when directed by piano-playing fingers. And it looks a bit of a mess with poorly developed letters, scrubbing outs and interjected words. It's not so clean as a screen document and has to be gone back over more often. Yet this was once my standard practice: only committing handwritten papers to stark typeface. How quickly that can change! It's as if I've taken up a new sport that I'm, in a manner of speaking, not agile enough for. The ballpoint is miles ahead, less concerned with what is written than leaving a trail of black ink across the page. On the road (not Jack Kerouac's) you might say: Eat my dust! A pencil (and subsequent rubbing outs) would be a more suitable tool for that though.
I really should come to a close as I think by now I'll have eaten up a Microsoft Word sheet. And done so as a hare rather than as a tortoise. The latter being the objective of this exercise: to get tortoise in somehow. I had banked on getting shell in too. Maybe I still can...since I can only think and write at home, when I'm alone, so if Alberto Manguel's private library is his tortoise shell than home (wherever that might be) is most definitely mine.

Picture credit: Tortoise-A, 1977, Maki Haku (source: WikiArt)

All posts published this year were penned during the last.