Thursday 14 November 2019

Editor

I can never write short messages. Shortish, but hardly ever a line or two. How people do is a puzzle, because I see white space and want to fill it. And a line, even if that's all that's necessary, doesn't seem to cut it; there's too much space aching to be filled with witty, unnecessary remarks or a fuller description.
What's ironic is that I feel that need less in conversation – do people still make that these days or have we all turned monosyllabic?- since there, I rarely feel that same urge; the silence stands for itself, sometimes awkwardly but more often comfortably, or in a that's my cue to leave or resume the task I was doing before, even side by side a fellow worker.
Sometimes there just are no words. So why doesn't that occur when I'm talking to a page to myself, mostly, or talking to someone – a friend or relative - via a page, a page of type for one pair of eyes, or for countless pairs, with no idea of their shape or colour? With the latter, I just hit 'publish' and barely give a thought as to who its readers might be. And what they might look like, facially.
The urge also don't occur with walls. Painted walls. And decorations for, I mean. As there, I'm happy to let them breathe i.e. to have some almond-white space around the framed hangings. To let them make their own statement and not be too crowded, get lost in a forest of other images, or have to get up close-to to really see. I prefer standing back, appreciating them and getting their full measure from afar, by standing in an open doorway or learning casually against a door frame. And to do that they, the images themselves, have to be able to command the space they're hanging against, as well as that of the room. It's hard to get right, and I'm not sure I do. I don't think, for instance, it would pass a critical gaze, like that of museum curator or art critic, without some slight being made, an adjustment, or comment as to how to improve its position in terms of light and framing.
Though we do that, all of us, with words too. Pass judgement. On those used or how something has been said. Or note a grammatical error, to ourselves or even, if we're that way inclined, bring it to the attention of others.
Lately even I've been looser, grammatically speaking; been so in the flow, with some articles, I haven't wish to interrupt the style and let rules take precedence. Because sometimes the structure of a sentence, though not correct, to the ear sounds better. I occasionally talk what I'm typing, as I type, aloud. It's more poetical than prose yet still prose. Isn't that what prose is, essentially?
I don't know, is the honest answer.
Some prose is very correct; some is very lax. And that, too, annoys me. I like, for instance, the proper use of apostrophes and and full-stops outside brackets, and speech marks where they're used to be double rather than single, which are quotation marks, but which are more often used now; wrongly, in my opinion.
So, against this, this modern changing of some rules, I've found, as others no doubt have done before, it pays, in terms of creativity, to be a little slack. Do away with speech marks altogether! Structure sentences differently, based on sound and rhythm, rather than what's correct.
Yes, I've been pulled up on it. But it's the sound, the sound, I say. It doesn't sound right, the right way. Very few, however, particularly those schooled at a earlier time, understand what I'm on about; and those schooled after me, well, I haven't a clue what they're on or on about.
This relaxedness, however, doesn't come from them, or from any particular generation, but from reading, and allowing myself to enter my own space of what feels good, what feels right creatively speaking, where I might default to the thesaurus on the odd occasion, as well as incorporate a phrase or style I've seen elsewhere. Why this laid-back approach then doesn't transfer to the area I plan to fill I cannot say. I know less is more, yet the words continue to trip and spill across the page.
Am I in need of an editor?

Picture credit: Cary Grant and Rosalind Russell in His Girl Friday

All posts published this year were penned during the last.