Thursday 16 July 2020

Lady Slane

In the absence of Juno, I turned again to a lady of Shakespearian quality and forty-nine years my senior, she, being, as Aristotle might have said in the evening of her life, although in the course of our friendship she will rise and die repeatedly, and the gap in our years will, over further stretches of time, diminish.
I will grow nearer; she less far away.
I will continue to hope I attain her maturity and cease to take sides; she will continue to criss-cross her days, past with present, as each new day allotted to her falls.
In this lady, twilight is ever-present; whereas the evening of day is ever extinguished by the rosy fingers of dawn and the noon sun.
Lady Slane is a woman to be admired, not for years but for her audacity; whereas the descent of night is a poet's delight, since a shepherd only delights in a red sky.
Her passion has been spent over many days, spread over eight, almost nine decades; day's in a single day; and mine, never. Or hardly ever. I've ceased to care about my inconsistencies and my failure to love as she has ceased to take sides.
Calm of mind, my passion is and has been spent in other ways, and I don't think in old age, when my day turns to evening, I'll regret that I didn't spend it with more abandon rather than with caution. But when twilight comes to permanently rest on one, I may feel differently. My eighty-eight year old mind's reflections may be more wistful: a what could I have done, what could I have been; or perhaps memories will merely visit as if they were shades from Hades' halls, and being closer to shade I'll feel less connected to them, an impartial observer, and therefore able to mutter: silly girl.
When you look back you'll always a girl, regardless of status: wife, mother, widow.
Widowed Lady Slane will sit in her chair in a tiny house in Hampstead, bathed in sunlight; or in the garden under the south wall and the ripened peaches; or on a bench on the Heath with or without Mr. FitzGeorge.
Husband-less, childless, I will sit in mine, placed by a window, with the sun's dying light falling upon me.
Envy enters not for those who have husbands still, nor for those who are husband and child-free; envy enters not for those who have husbands, have children, nor for those who have suitors that call. There's just the one heart on which to depend. A heart that's borne pain, and may bear more. A heart that says enough, I want to live for me.
Death parts people – men from wives, women from husbands, children from parents, parents from children. Although Death can also reunite them, if you believe in the existence of an underworld, an afterlife.
Two badly behaved women, then; two women behaving badly. Independent and sometimes loose-tongued. Society shunned, as it might, should we choose to associate with it rather than distance ourselves from it, shun us in turn. Would Lady Slane have cared? Will I? if society, according to the order of the day, thought of her, thinks of me in this way?
Cease to care; cease to take sides in debates, in arguments, yet be firm. Do not acquiesce.
Women, though, must have guardians in the form of men or children. Both supposedly know better. The war of sex. The war of elders and offspring.
The ravens gather; as do the maggot-pies.
A council forms. The question's asked: Youth or old age? Which is fair and which a burden?
The jackdaws and jays argue for youth, the ravens for old age. None are indifferent. A bully-boy crow, however, stands up for bloom and wisdom, but he is ignored. Visitors have no rights here.
Lady Slane is amused, as am I, though we, unlike them reserve judgement. We've ceased to care, have ceased or are ceasing to take sides. Maturity beckons, with a crooked finger.
Ah, and here comes Juno, looking more Elizabethan than Roman, to light this path. May the earth, each time you pass, fall lightly upon you, Lady Slane.

Book recommendation: All Passion Spent by Vita Sackville-West.

Picture credit: Juno, c.1662-c.1665, Rembrandt (source: WikiArt)

This post was penned in 2019.