Thursday 12 November 2020

Teacher's Eye

It's rare that writers revisit their work and think it good. Wholly good. I certainly don't, even though mine is that of a amateur, a school girl's effort with school girl mistakes, and so I anticipate my teacher's eye; the same eye that spots misprints and grammatical errors in reprints of classic novels.
The student is always learning, and maybe aping writing styles – sometimes subconsciously - for she has not yet found her own, though that I think is a compliment to those writers that are well-known – the highest form of flattery that can be paid. And I may not find a style or one style or my style, since my mind is too easily influenced by whatever I'm reading, and somehow this always intrudes into what I'm writing. I could never write a novel and be satisfied with it. The style, too, sometimes changes in the midst of these articles because I've picked up another book which has flooded my brain with new thoughts and ideas. I have to, therefore, work fast. Get it down; locked down, no more changes, or I'll tinker forever until it's unrecognisable and far removed from my original notion.
Happy? Sort of. Not quite.
Happy? Yes, fairly. Though the closing paragraph doesn't have quite the right note...
Happy? No, not with the title...
Happy? Yes! That's it! Done.
Only to revisit, say, a year later, before publishing, to experience the following: a piece I thought was great will seem just okay, or it will impress again, in a different way; or a piece I thought was just okay will surprise, even bewilder. I, the author, have flummoxed the brain reviewing my own work. I may not be able to relate to the piece at all as I'm now in a different head space, or I may not be able to recall the effect the novel mentioned in the article had on me. The eye reviewing is therefore not just a teacher's eye, it's an objective eye, viewing a work from a distance of time, written by a different self: a maturing writer, an experimenter.
Still, I leave the article alone, even if I can't make head or tail of it. I will not revise it. It meant something, it made sense, in that moment of composition. I have moved on, that's all. My perspective has shifted. The opinions I hold now are similar but not an exact match, and even if they were the wording in which I explained them would be altered.
With a pen and a pencil and the tapping of keys, I brought these ideas, thoughts and themes to life. To revisit and be too critical would mean an overhaul.
So, I stand by my words. And the time (and the mood) in which they were said.
That, however, doesn't mean I always like the finished then published pieces. It doesn't mean I don't either – sometimes the ego is stoked into a small flame of pride. But often I can't make the connection between me and them. I have detached myself from them. I view them through a very long lens.
The teacher's eye thinks: very good; waffle; what?! There's a word missing there... could there do with a comma...? Should that be a capital letter?...why has that been put in italics?
The teacher's eye scans once more, but is no position to judge the place the article came from. It can only mark the obvious: the grammar, the punctuation, the structure, the impressions expressly given or implied; it cannot turn back time and see the world as it was seen then, it can only visit; a tourist. The article is always passed.
Successful authors, so I hear, so I've read, also have mixed feelings, changed feelings towards their own work. Sometimes if they write the introduction to a reprint they often assert they were young, or it was an early work, that they should have done this and not that, that it was overlong or their conception was flawed; that they weren't keen on its working or known title, or that they'd made it clear the punctuation shouldn't be amended.
Writers are happier writing than doing any other line of work, but generally they're not a self-satisfied breed. They don't recognise, nor appreciate, their own talents. Others – writers and readers – have to do that for them.

Picture credit: The Song of the Lark, 1884, Jules Breton (source: WikiArt).

This post was written in 2019.