Thursday 18 March 2021

The Mouse of Frankenstein

A little black mouse sat above my right breast for an entire weekend last January. A woman whose pet it was put it on me and told it to stay, and so it did.
It made a nest without me seeing and slept for forty-eight hours. My skin was the sheet on which it lay, my collarbone its pillow and my layers of clothing its bedclothes. In sleep, its eyes (and I presume it was in possession of a pair) were closed – I never saw them open nor in dreaming flutter; when I checked beneath the covers its heart was the only part that winked at me. A tiny heart which at its centre flashed green. On and off, on and off, every twenty to thirty seconds, with a faint or strong beam depending on what illumination I myself was under. I mostly looked down the neck of my jumpers so as not to to disturb or distress it. I never did; it never once woke up from its deep slumber, and therefore afforded me many opportunities to study it. For I was drawn again and again to its heart, though it would be more accurate to say this, for although I'm no biologist I knew it wasn't in its rightful place. It had obviously been put there – by whom? - so possibly it had two: a scientific and a natural heart, or the scientific had for experimental purposes replaced the natural. It had a black button, of a different shade to its own black colour, sewed to its body too, which the woman, I remember, said I should press should there be any problems i.e. unusual displays of behaviour, and these too should be noted with date and time (using the twenty-four hour clock) of occurrence in a logbook.
I didn't think of it then, but I've wondered since whether prolonged sleeping was one such display?
How should a mouse usually behaved? I haven't had much first-hand experience of rodents unless you count hamsters. Of second-hand knowledge I had some from Beatrix Potter tales, although I don't think you can swear by them that that's how mice conduct themselves. I didn't for one moment consider, for instance, that this mouse was a tailor from Gloucester. Nor that it might have worn itself out making a dress for a lady mouse, who when the dress was ready admired herself in a magnifying glass, and saw, from behind a screen, that all was to her satisfaction. No, I refused to let my (and Beatrix Potter's) imagination run away with me.
However, it did give me an idea, which at the time I attributed to my intellect and not as I do now to the image of the lady mouse: I used a mirror to inspect my sleeping mouse guest further. It was then that I noticed that quite aside from the stitched button it had three tails, all of different lengths and each unusually long – one snaked its way over my chest and down to my waist – and a tattoo of an archer (a torso with a bow and arrow) in red ink on its body.
The tails I felt I could account for: they were a birth defect or a genetic mutation. Perhaps its mother when pregnant had eaten food laced with a toxic substance. But the archer...well, that was more difficult to speculate about: how does one tattoo a mouse? I didn't think it likely mice frequented tattoo parlours, man or mouse-run, and so it must have been done to it, perhaps under duress, or at least without its consent. I very much doubted any mouse would have chosen to have an archer, aiming an arrow, inked on its body, but then (and this I say with hindsight) I knew and still know next to nothing about the world mice inhabit. Nor did I know (and I never did subsequently find out) how the woman who put it on me came to be in possession of this mouse. Perhaps it was a rescue; perhaps a tamed house-mouse. Perhaps it was one of many; perhaps this woman did this all the time: planted perfect mice-guests on people. A mouse for the weekend Sir/Madam?
I knew even then I would never get to the bottom of this mystery: the woman, the mouse with its quiet sleepy behaviour and unusual appearance, the tattoo. The latter 'clue' the most curious of them all as it made me think of mad professors doing goodness knows what or a secret police operation, conscious as I was (purely due to its position) that I felt tempted to talk into it like a walkie-talkie. If the mouse at 11:20am on the Monday, after exactly forty-eight hours of uninterrupted slumber, hadn't suddenly squeaked – eek eek eek – and promptly died, I may have broken my resolve not to and spoken into it: “Testing, testing...”

Picture credit: Lady Mouse in Mop Cap, 1902, Beatrix Potter (source: WikiArt).