Thursday 17 November 2022

Lives

Lives fascinate me; but biography is for me to read not to write. The obsession with the chosen subject over a prolonged period would be too much; that is the way I think one might descend into madness. For, it must grow difficult to separate the lived from the living, the two must, to some extent, converge. To understand the lived, the living must try to inhabit, or at least try to visualise or imagine, some of their world as it once existed. The old and the new travelled between, or the modern, for a time, suspended. The subject, the life must be breathed for the biographer to animate the words they will in turn write. The places their subject dwelt in or frequented must be visited; their footsteps followed. Any trace they may have left of themselves must be read or investigated. It must an exhausting, all-consuming search, and accompanied therefore by euphoric or depressive moods, which may chime with the subject's own. I cannot imagine, from my limited reading of lives, how it could be otherwise. It requires more mental, emotional stability, I think, than the average human, or perhaps the resilience to bounce back, to shake off the lived, after the experience.
Perhaps however I'm wrong and the lived subject can be divorced from throughout the whole process. I cannot believe though that this approach would not affect how the life was written and read. I cannot conceive of not, as a biographer (and indeed a reader), liking and identifying with the lived. Why then choose to write of lives lived? (Why then read biography?) There must, there has to be, some affinity, some attraction, a wanting to know.
The best biographers, the best written biographies, will always be for me those that live and breathe their subject.

Picture credit: Englishman in the Campagna, 1845, Carl Spitzweg (source: WikiArt).

Journal entry, October 2021.