Thursday 16 May 2019

Grains of Sand

I don't so much fear death as I do wasting life.” Oliver Sacks said that almost, not quite, ten years ago, in October 2009 to his partner Bill Hayes. Admittedly when he said that he was at a more advanced age than I, already in his seventies, but it made me instantly think upon reading it: why don't I feel the same way?
I don't fear death and I don't fear wasting life. Looking back at over three and half decades of it, I see I've done a lot of that – wasted life; I didn't mind then, and I don't mind now. Upon reflection. What would be the use now in regretting what's been done?
Death is a subject matter for another time, but which I'll sum up by saying: I don't fear my own but others', their decline and final departure, and the after. Maybe then, I share Sacks' opinion...? if that's what he meant, more in relation to himself: his own parting.
And indeed some pages on, and after I'd written the above, (on p.124 of Insomniac City: New York, Oliver Sacks, and Me, the paperback edition, in case you want to find the exact paragraph) he does comment on picturing his own death that he's “not troubled in the least- not serene, but...as if it is the right thing at the right time. And so it will be.” I share that certainty though I'm younger and aren't as yet dealing with the frailties of the mind or body since who can tell how many years are allotted to us. Seeing those changes in others however can be painful, and difficult to acknowledge and accept. Time is so transient when it concerns those you love.
And I said I wasn't going to talk of endings!
But do I think when I, if I, reach a more senior status I'll think: what a waste! It's possible. There are many things I could have been and done; I realise that even now, and yet that's my biggest problem because I'm not great with choice, weighing something up against another. It always becomes about what I stand to lose rather than what I stand to gain. And in those types of scenarios I'll always select: no change. It could be a job, it could be love, it could be the idea of moving home. It doesn't matter, because when your mind, even for a short time, feels it's not your own, then sameness appeals, and usually wins. Or in my case that's how it goes.
How boring! Is it though? I like what I like. I like 'wasting' time reading, thinking, observing, questioning. Yes, it's a singular life and a luxury. An impractical, and some would say, a 'no fun' one. But for me it's akin to breathing. Take it away or stifle it, over and above what I was willing to compromise, and I'm not really sure who or what I am. I go around in more of a daze, if that's possible. My mind running at a speed that I can't keep up with and all of it a jumble and concerned with tasks I don't really care about. There's no gaps for the real me, to just be, or to enjoy those leisurely pursuits in the same manner as before. I can't sustain a life like that. And yet life, if you engage with it: people and work, often requires it of you.
Oh, what a waste! Yep, it is. Now I really consider it. It's a selfish way of living and yet I'm not uncaring, the opposite in fact, though I don't always know how to show it and I'm not too keen on intimacy, but you know, living, I've not really cracked it. You could opine Oliver Sacks didn't until his later years, that he hadn't really lived until he fell in love or opened up to more 'normal' experiences associated with the everyday. Perhaps that will happen to me....? like him at a late stage with somebody junior so that it will surprise me and I'll find I'll go with it. Age can do that to one. The grains of sand that make up your personal time are fewer; you catch what you can, hold in your hand and taste of it.
At least I like to think I'd do that, if say I lived another thirty, forty-odd years and suddenly had new experiences presenting themselves to me. Yet as I write this I think: But you don't have the same temperament of Sacks! You're not sunny or positive like him.
No, I lean towards melancholy, yet we share the habit of random pronouncements (his are recorded by Billy in 'Notes from a Journal') which seem to come from nowhere, as if plucked out of thin air, although of course to the speaker, they're not; they're perfectly logical.
Still, I'm hopeful...not much, but a little, that if I attain his age I'll be as wise and won't (as I do now) want to steal all time for myself and reserve none for new or late comers.

Picture credit: Broadway Desert, a P R Francis original

All posts published this year were penned during the last.