Thursday 9 May 2019

Some Broad

I wouldn't have been surprised if John Cheever had described Justice as 'some broad' in his tale of Falconer Jail; he doesn't however, though the phrase is used later, on the last page, in reference to a coat, when, and I quote, looking as if about 'to meet some broad in a very expensive restaurant and buy her lunch.' But he does describe her, at the beginning, as 'blinded, vaguely erotic in her clinging robes and armed with a headsman's sword.'
He's right of course. That's the conventional image most of us recognise and usually see positioned outside or above judicial places where hearings and trials are held, where sentences are served. And yet I find her figure far from assuring and more troubling, though I'm not sure I could tell you why. Not because I'm holding back, worried I'll offend, but because I don't really know myself. Something about her, depicted as she commonly is, pricks my conscience.
No, this is not going to be a case of revision (you breathe a sigh. I hear it before it's even reached its end) because I don't agree with all this tearing down and redesign, though she does smack of 'Olde' whenever she's found. Not that there's anything wrong with mythological symbols, assuming that's what she is? because I've deliberately chosen not to research her but have instead presumed from my small amount of knowledge she was either a Greek or Roman goddess, though I'd rather she was just 'some broad.' Some broad picked up somewhere: on a street corner, working the counter in a shop or diner, sitting in a hotel lobby or a train carriage like in a Hopper painting yet even those images, that slang dates itself to the thirties, forties, fifties, sixties, seventies, to detective novels and to America, where the streets are laid like girds and, to a Brit, confusedly numbered.
An ordinary dame. A housewife. A secretary. Dated. Dated. Dated. I know, but nowhere near as old and more familiar than Justice.
Do I offend you with this view? with this slang? of the hard drinking (and hard smoking) era, of the (still) more masculine world where people dressed more sharp than they do now and spoke either in clipped or soft tones, of the sort you don't hear now. I know, I'm romanticising a time I didn't live in or even get to experience for one brief moment, when actually being in it wouldn't have been like that at all. I'm looking back, or through, a window that can never for me be recreated exactly and so it will always be some place I'd like to be but can never go.
And that's just one; there are others: even earlier moments in time, which if mentioned progressive peoples of today would say I was mad. We've come so far...and yet too far. Some of our struggles now are more sensitive than worthy. These attitudes are even clouding my view, in spite of separating myself (as best I can) from them.
Maybe I'm being a prude. As couldn't it be the eroticism, some people see (in her), that disturbs me? That somehow it's undignified for Justice to be perceived in that way, though I quite understand why. Is it my modern eyes? which instead of seeing an impartial figure sees a seductress (oops shouldn't say seductress but seducer) like a praying mantis who entices, then, once the deed is done, eats her lover or in this case beheads them.
But is that not a fitting token if they're guilty? Her sword straight and unbending; its swing unimpeded by the silk scarf blinding her eyes, the blow delivered swiftly to the neck. The head rolls. Justice served.
In those bygone gladiatorial and unmerciful days that was justice, whereas today, as more usually happens, those found guilty are carted off and locked up. Their punishment served in months or years with time off for good behaviour alongside a regime which is too comfortable; in the States where the death penalty is still enforced, they swell in size, and appear freakish, like those that used to be exhibited in a circus show. What do they do to them in there? Or does incarceration inflate a man's ego? Prisoners should, if they return to the civilian population, come out clean, and lean as in sinewy, not starved, and hungry to continue their reformation and not go back inside.
Justice now, even wielding a sword, is too blinded.

Picture credit: Office at Night, 1940, Edward Hopper (Source: WikiArt)

All posts published this year were penned during the last.