Thursday 25 July 2019

The Godly Homer

In the spring of last year, during one of its brief and too-soon summer-like glimpses, I was acquired by Homer; for it is said you don't acquire Homer, Homer acquires you. And this, without meaning to rhyme, I found to be true.
I was gradually seduced, pulled towards these ancient tales and epic poems, first by Margaret Atwood's telling of Penelope, and then entirely by Adam Nicolson's personal musing, The Mighty Dead, the title taken from a line of Keats' poem Endymion. And though Keats is a personal favourite, I know more about his love affair than his poetry, just as I've mostly been aware of Homer through Penelope, the faithful wife of Odysseus, and Adam Nicolson because of Sissinghurst and his connection to Vita Sackville-West and Harold Nicolson, so you might say there was more than one magnet involved. Or that there were many iron filings which in attaching themselves to my person had weakened my, partially conscious, resistance, and thus caused the mind's compass to oscillate and alter its course.
I'm not sure which analogy is more compelling, nor which Homer would be: the greater magnet over all other magnets or one of the many iron filings, perhaps not ultimately pulling me towards Homer but some other destination: somewhere equally unknown but aware of that I'd tried to evade.
The attraction, however, was more subtle than instant; it evolved, book by book, as knowledge was gleaned - new, retold or revived - grain by grain until such a time when conditions were favourable for Homer to call, sweetly and unmistakably, in the manner of a Siren's song, and when I, lacking Odysseus's foresight, had left myself unprotected: my eyes and ears open, ready to absorb and be absorbed. Ready to be won.
What was I won by? I've asked that of myself. I was in a myth and legends phase. It was Penelope and her maids, the maids that Odysseus on his return orders his son, Telemachus, to kill. It was the similarities between Odysseus and the Norse shape-shifting god Loki. It was the enthusiasm (and the exploration and the reasoning) of Adam Nicolson. It was the mention of John Keats and how Homer enlarged his world. It was....it was...it was...neither one thing or another. It was everything and nothing. In particular. There was no Homeric moment.
In a sense it was as if I'd missed a part of the plot bringing me to this point: receptive to Homer's epics, like a lapse in continuity which to a reader is glaringly obvious and yet has been overlooked by the author and editorial team, not that I appeared to be the author either of my reading destiny; whomever that author was they had taken me in a backwards rather than a forwards motion, or possibly chosen for me the harder path, because usually you wouldn't open, let alone read, a literary appraisal before the text, though you might read it (or refresh your memory) alongside. But after enjoying prose based around these epics there was a demand within me for a more thorough examination (and explanation) of Homer, except the excerpts given, given as they were to emphasise a point, weren't therefore provided in book order (from either the Iliad or Odyssey) and so my understanding of the unfolding dramas was akin to Penelope's ploy to weave a shroud for her father-in-law to keep her suitors at arm's length. In other words, my grasp though improved upon was like Odysseus himself: slippery. And the verses, like broken-up pottery, interspersed with commentary would not come together as a whole; as pieces they were though sublime less valued by my mind, and in that way unlike archaeological finds where even a small shard (on its own without any discourse) can transmit something of a settlement and its people.
There was nothing else for it, to appreciate Homer at his finest and fully, in all his majesty and tragedy I had to read the verse form, although again they would be through somebody else's gaze. Nicolson acted as a guide as to which translations and adaptations to search for, and so deserves some of the credit, but it was Homer (or scores of Homers) that did it, that got me started on a Homer-odyssey, from which I emerged hungry for more (Greek myths) like Achilles (and his men) waging war or city-ransacking Odysseus.

Picture credit: A Reading from Homer, 1885, Sir Lawrence Alma-Tadema (source: WikiArt).

All posts published this year were penned during the last.