Thursday 18 July 2019

Why is That So?

In the kingdom within me there resides many questions, some deep and some less so; some that desire answers and some that just need to be asked. Those with an explanation I don't always care to listen to, for it's pondering the thought aloud that's important, as if in some way it's enough to prompt another's mind. Yes, why is that so?
It's not done, I can assure you, to prove my intelligence or idiocy, or to test whether your knowledge is level, higher or lower than mine, nor to suggest my thoughts are more provoking than yours. No, it's just a why? put out there. Which if I can be enlightened is all well and good as is if I'm laughed at because I've missed the obvious or made some blunder.
It's funny since as a child I infrequently asked Why? in a wheedling tone unlike my younger cousins who asked every few minutes, although more to annoy than to know, and yet now I question everything, though the questions I put tend to be more considered.
The asking itself (or the restraint in not) can be dicey. Like in an interview where at its conclusion it's inquired if you have any questions? Answer 'No' and you leave them with the wrong impression, one of disinterest or ill-preparedness; ask throughout and without being prompted and the panel duly answer and then towards the end act offended: Are there any more? The unsaid being: if not, then leave!
No, I haven't got the balance quite right, and some questions, I admit, might seem random because while they've been formulating the conversation has moved on (or has always been on a completely different footing) and now I'm taking it back one or two steps or in a whole new and unconnected direction. Though I mostly do that in more appropriate circumstances i.e. not those where the objective is to impress and not to flummox.
Is there some truth in that? I ask to confound... to trip familiars up with questions I know they probably won't have an answer to or a reasoning for. Again: why? To expand their mind or to suggest, despite my earlier claim, superiority of mine?
The latter notion's not pleasant because of course I want to state (and to believe) pure curiosity, in its simplest form, is the driver and not some snobbish intellectualism. Certainly the thoughts I have do not always lean towards the intellectual, and would be, I think, beneath them, whomever that term is applied to and whomsoever they happen to be, and therefore, if put, would be responded to with: Well, really!
So, perhaps then I do (deliberately?) over and under-reach my audience... perhaps my subconscious takes a perverse pleasure in it and from it? Then again, maybe I just think too much, so the questions come when they come, independent and regardless of who they're put to, as if there's an urgent need to get them out like busting for a wee and being nowhere near a lavatory, because if left unsaid to perhaps a more fitting moment the danger is that moment will never come about and so, in the course of waiting, their potency fades or you find yourself back-pedalling and recklessly inserting them into the discussion. Willy-nilly, and causing such diversions as to exasperate people and upset their narrative.
It might interest you to know I'm more successful with my bladder, which has, by those who know me well, been likened to a camel's. My pelvic floor more resistant to the dam behind its doors than the flood of questions my head muscles might have to contain; their point of release reached well before the stream, although the relief, which you too might have some knowledge of, is somewhat different. In one I can continue to attend to other things and in the other I cannot, but I'll let you conjecture as to which the mind or bladder belongs to.
Right now, my bladder is empty and my mind is concerned with how to give you a taste, a selection, of the deep and the meaningless questions currently at the forefront and of those that pass through: are asked but go unanswered. The best approach, I think, would be to allow them to flow in one continuous stream: whendidthenationfirsttakepeanutbuttertoitsbosom?wh y,ifJesuswasaJew,wastheChurchestablished?Andwhythenthedividebetweenthosefaiths?Whyd otheyalwaysshowEddieMurphytalkingtotheanimalsandneverRexHarrison?Whyisthattheyolks ofpre-packedhard-boiledeggsneverturngrey?

Picture credit: The Little Stream, 1890, Vincent van Gogh (source: WikiArt).

All posts published this year were penned during the last.