Thursday 12 September 2019

Of Twists and Turns

'Oh no, you've learned your lazy ways too well, you're got no itch to stick to good hard work.'
A line from Robert Fagles translation of The Odyssey that I never imagined I'd willingly stick to myself and not feel affronted by as I would have done had someone else, as they do in The Odyssey, taunted me with it.
Odysseus, however, is in disguise: in tattered rags, looking to all his island's people (and princes) like a tramp or beggar, whereas I still look like me to those that know me from way way back and know me still, regardless of my well-worn clothing, but then I'm not assisted (or thwarted) by immortal gods. That I know of; well, none have ever put in an appearance, nor have I made offerings, though, to keep me in their favour or to diminish any punishment.
I've sometimes thought if such gods exist they smile upon me only when it suits and frown when it doesn't, because like Zeus and Athena they like to play: throw thunder bolts and storms as well as choice rewards; yet at some point I must have also upset one with Posideon's nature because there have been squalls.
A god of Posideon's type is an easy one to blame for my now rather negative view of work and change in attitude towards it, but I haven't made any overtures to him so I can't really think that's the case, as if I did then surely I'd be on my knees on a hill or cliff somewhere pleading to the skies and seas, or scattering cereal and proffering vegetables hoping these would substitute for the usual goats, rams and bulls.
No, it's entirely me, though not entirely unrelated to twists and turns, though none of the sort Odysseus suffers – either at his own hands (or his shipmates) or of the gods' making. But I did, last year, return to a state I thought had left me, that I thought I'd already transitioned through quite a few moons ago. Jobless (after redundancy) nothing new, my reluctance in applying and my hesitancy over vacancies however was. My confidence shaken (it hadn't been high in my last position) and doubting if I wanted to once again make myself fit or be re-recruited into office work, even voluntary.
I stalled. I applied. I attended informal meetings and interviews. I dithered, back and forth, back and forth. I was burned by some, got no replies from others. Some I got a sniff of but which proved slippery – employers and T&Cs of employment; others were so slippery, I failed, despite heavenward eyes and ceiling-directed prayers, to land them. I gave up, I persevered: onto to the next one, I gave up again, I tried. My savings were on the downward slide.
So what in the end did I do? Instead of doing what I should: retrain, hone skills, re-jig again my CV, get a haircut, try out a new look and at least make myself into someone that might be office right and ready, or to at least feel better. Clothes and all that just don't do it for me. I turned to Greek classics and poetry. Learning. Yep, I stuck my head in a book. Correction, lots of books. I found whole areas of libraries I hadn't visited because I assumed epic poetry wasn't for me, not to read and enjoy. And the Greek tragedies, less so. All those character and place names and how to pronounce them.
Yet to my surprise, I spent a blissful week with Homer's Odyssey (all twenty-four books in one volume), literally swept away, in spite of detours to the notes and pronouncing glossary, and enjoying most of all the recurrent passages. Those fixed and formulaic, frequently repeated refrains and phrases were a joy to come across since they made me feel that like Odysseus I'd been carried away on my own journey of familiarity and awakening. Like the oral tradition when I came to a repetition I paused in my reading as if like the performer I was relishing the break to recollect the next part of the verse as well as gather myself for the next twist in the tale. I took especial delight in the rituals prior to dining: the rinsing of hands, the serving of appetizers and bread, the drawing of a table towards a guest, along with 'lustrous Calypso' and eagles as portents.
So,whilst my job situation didn't improve, Pope (Alexander) was right when he said: 'Homer makes us Hearers', because I found a skill I didn't know I'd lost.

Picture credit: Christ in the Wilderness, the Eagles, Stanley Spencer

All posts published this year were penned during the last.