Thursday 19 September 2019

Sucking Lemons (and Limes)

You're a cheerful soul”, which when said to me is not as you might think meant literally, as a compliment even, but sarcastically, and to which though they can't see me I pull a face, a long face as if I've been sucking lemons. I'd rather they said that actually: Have you been sucking lemons? Because then I could be honest: Yes I have. I like lemons. And limes.
Really, it's their attempt to change the subject. Or the record. They'd rather turn it over to the B side. I know I'm picking (and I know too I'm probably being a bore) but if there wasn't some thorn, some truth in whatever I was saying before, this remark wouldn't have been made. Of course, this stratagem only works – both ways – on those closest to you.
It's rare that 'cheerful' in the sense it's meant could be applied. Not that I'm glum or pessimistic but then I'm not what you might describe as sunny either. Ever. Obsessive, sometimes, about an interest, never people, well, not those known to me or even generally speaking alive. I'll just spit it out shall I: you have not entered stalker territory. But, hang on, are you, possibly, stalking me? If you are, I don't want to know. Some knowledge is good, some is dangerous. So, carry on...whilst I'll find another record to put on.
Hmm, bit dreary this...yet mesmeric and forbidding. Glaswegian. Written especially for a French drama. Is that the atmosphere I'm aiming for?
Ghosts. Hades. Shades of Homer. I know, I know, stop with the Homer. I said I was obsessive, didn't I? once my eyes have been opened. Tin-opened like the Trojans and Greeks from their armour as they battled on the plains of Troy, though these warriors were, I imagine, unsealed like sardines (why is it never corned beef?) with a spindly key. Just more aggressively, of course. With swords. Whereas with eyes, it's more akin to removing spectacles – the images, the words burning into your brain should be blurred but instead still appear sharp, spear-sharp, pencil-sharp, the point driven home on a body or page, and you can't, for your life, figure out why.
The world makes a little more sense. The foundations on which it might have been laid anyway. So what if it's mythical? It's obviously inspired, fed into many people's work. Like Shakespeare. Oh God, I'm talking Greek classics again. Somebody stop me!
Now I've plateaued. The record's got stuck; the needle scratching the same surface area over and over. My favourite track too.
Why is it always my favourite track that can never play right through? An instrumental halting or skipping; the vocals (when there are some) fading in and out as if he, the vocalist, is being suffocated or his windpipe squeezed so he chokes on a word, the same word again and again. Which then (again) makes me think of war. Arrows and shields. Horses.
Bronze. Iron. Clad head to toe in armour. And yet a weapon finds a gap: a strip of unprotected skin, vulnerable and quivering. Or the attacking warrior uses instead brute force, hacking and stabbing everywhere, at close range, until metal is pierced and flesh is punctured.
Homer. Troy.
Revenge. Honour. Funeral pyres. Zeus and Athena beseeched to intervene.
I have a will of iron, it seems, when it comes to this particular record. It plays even when it's not being played: just there all the time, as if all the time it's connecting dots, and won't, hates to be interfered with. It's there when I walk across a cobbled pedestrian street, my limbs heavy with fatigue; and when I enter a huge shopping centre, all glass and domed ceilings, and their shops, where my eyes refuse to rove over seas of muchness and to scout out categories; my ears to hear, my tongue to engage.
What is this landscape? Where are the dustier, emptier plains? Where are the tents and the men? Where is Troy?
Is this Hades...? The new Hades, built layer upon layer of the old, so it sits on the same level as the living and not below. A world alongside, gleaming white, with food courts.
Have I sucked too many lemons (and limes)?

Picture credit: Still life with lemons on a plate, 1887, Vincent van Gogh (Source: WikiArt)

All posts published this year were penned during the last.