Thursday 27 February 2020

Pancake Magic

Don't you just hate it when someone casually drops in a name, a first name or surname, and expects you to know to whom they're referring? Scholars, I find, do this a lot, as do introductions to classics by translators or authors, since they seem to assume that if you've got this far i.e. picked up a certain volume that you must be well-informed and know all the persons and works they might reference. Now, I like to think I have scholarly leanings, but I'm still learning i.e. there's a lot I don't know and even more I don't retain, and when you have only a surname, for example, to go on, then you just have to hope that any further research comes up trumps with the very man or woman you want to verify, as well as blindly trust the source it comes from.
The above, whilst it's not a very gripping way to start an article, is a sort of disclaimer before getting on with it (I'm getting to it, I promise!), for I'm still not sure I've got the right Lichtenberg (Georg Christoph) and if I haven't I can deny that I've done anything wrong, other than attribute something the Lichtenberg I want said to the wrong Lichtenberg. And before then laying the blame at the feet of Michael Hulse, the author and translator, unless of course I've missed an earlier paragraph where a brief sentence mentions all I needed to know: his name, in full, and what he did or was known for, maybe. In which case, if such a passage is discovered, my sincere apologies to Hulse for denying any responsibility for the matter and for being an ignoramus i.e. for wanting more detail, of the sort that a university educated person would know or be able to infer.
Though I'm not such a fool as not to gather, from his introduction, that this Lichtenberg was a satirist, or at least had a dry wit, which he used to great effect in his letters. In one, he is said to have remarked: 'the smell of a pancake is a more powerful reason for remaining in this world than all young Werther's supposedly lofty conclusions are for quitting it.'
I find that amusing, but don't agree; I can think of other smells that would convince me to remain. The smell of a pancake is not the first I would think of - I can't even think, at present, what a pancake smells like, but I can taste the lemon and white sugar - it must be white sugar, though I am often led by my nose.
Why a pancake, I wondered? And wonder still. And then, too, for Lichtenberg wrote this in May 1775. Perhaps pancakes were the best thing since (or even before) sliced bread. Though Thackeray (oh, another surname, no first name, but I know of him – do you? It's William Makepeace) in 1853 made a to-do about bread and butter, and also in connection with Werther, which incidentally was another Hulse note. But at least the cutting of bread was featured in the novel. Pancakes were not.
Had they been and if I were in young Werther's (or maybe even Goethe's) position would the smell of a pancake, or the mere thought of tasting one, make me choose this world over the next? Could those intent on doing themselves harm be saved by pancakes?
Maybe a pancake would delay the inevitable, and then if you kept on eating them, because well, who can refuse another, would keep postponing it, until the act he or she thought they would commit had been escaped from. Can food do that?
It fills a hole, definitely. But not indefinitely.
Maybe, however, pancakes have some magic I don't know of. Although now I come to think on it, my maternal nan's were so light and airy they must have contained not just the usual ingredients. We would all (all those in the household on Shrove Tuesday) come back for more. With a squeeze of real lemon and a sprinkle of white sugar. I never found out exactly what she did to that batter; she must have done something different to it, for even imperfectly cooked it was perfect.
Is perhaps that their magic? They can be a little burnt or a little underdone, but none of that matters, nor somehow affects the mouth-feel or the lifelong remembrance of it.
Pancakes, then, mixed well, might just be the saving of you. 

Picture credit: Making Pancakes, Boris Grigoriev (source: WikiArt)

Acknowledgement to:  The Sorrows of Young Werther, Goethe, Penguin Classics , intro/notes by Michael Hulse.

This post was penned during 2019.