Thursday 6 February 2020

The Room Attendant

A hotel room is a lonely place. Indeed it is. To the lone traveller. Interesting (and disgusting too) to clean, though.
If you're interested, that is, in people's habits, yet disgusted by cleaning up after them, which can make you feel somewhat superior. Dirty Beasts! because well, you would think that wouldn't you? if you were forever changing soiled sheets, picking up debris from the carpets, mopping up spills, and coming across hairs of all types. Nobody likes cleaning the bathroom. I don't even like cleaning my own, and I'm the sole user.
My favourite task is vacuuming. As a little girl, I was given, I think by a great-aunt a toy vacuum, which I want to say was a beige colour and modelling itself as an Electrolux. I don't know if I'm right about the last detail but I seem to remember a tiny silver emblem bearing that name. Unless I'm confusing it with my grandparents' full-grown upright model. Anyhow, it wasn't a Dyson and it certainly wasn't a Henry. The latter, by the way, I have a great dislike for, but lots of hotels (God knows why – and maybe he does) swear by them.
That same great-aunt also gave me, I believe, a toy stove and washing machine. I don't believe I'm making this up, but maybe I am? Memory is a funny thing. But now I think about it I also seem to recall tiny pieces of silver cutlery, not real silver, mind, just shiny plastic. I loved all those mini-household appliances, playing with them, but you do when small, when the adult world is inaccessible.
Until you get there and realise the labour behind them. I still enjoy vacuuming though, if it's an upright model and not one that has to be yanked along on its wheels. Come on Henry, heel. There's a good boy.
Bed-changing, I don't mind either. There's something quite satisfying about pulling a dirty sheet off and putting a fresh, crisp one on, though I do, at times, wish large hotel chains would invest in elasticated sheets. I'm tired (and bored) of hospital corners. Laundry wouldn't be able to cope, I suppose, because flat sheets are so much easier to press and fold.
I did a couple of days in the pressing room once, for guests' clothes. It was hot and uncomfortable. And there was a laundered steam smell. Hard to describe, really, but that type of steam does have a smell. Nothing overpowering or floral, just, well, clean. The air was as humid and moist as the hothouse at Kew Gardens, causing my hair to turn to frizz and my face to melt. The supervisor I had to report to was creepy. He gave these funny little smirks and I'm sure he had unsavoury thoughts. About me. It was a relief to get out of there and return to attending rooms, on my own with my trolley and a smiley Henry.
Best of all, I like checking rooms. You could say it's my party piece. I walk into a serviced room, mine or one of my fellow attendants, and pretend to be a floor supervisor. I run a finger along skirting boards and tops of cupboards, examine it and tut. Then I check the bed is made correctly with the crease down the middle, frowning and making little adjustments here and there. I count the sugars, milks, coffees and teas and mutter profusely; I point out smears on mirrors and shower doors; I wrinkle my nose at toilet seats and inspect the shampoos and soaps. I make a pantomime of it basically and make myself and the girls laugh.
Such moments are rare, though, in this line of work, especially when the Head Housekeeper, as she is here, is a little like Miss Trunchbull, you know, the school headmistress in Matilda. Mind you, I will say this for her, everyone gets treated the same, even on occasion the guests. But for all that, it's not a bad place.
And there are perks to this job, although maybe you might not think of them as such, for instance subsidized meals on duty, tips should any be left but most guests are tight-fisted these days, lost property if unclaimed, and discounts off holidays.
I've checked in, as a resident, to a sister hotel once in my life and hated the experience. Not the room, the room itself was a bit old-fashioned for my taste but clean, but being in a city very different to my own, and alone. Because God, can a hotel room be a lonely place then.

Picture credit: French Maid, Banksy (source: WikiArt)

This article was penned during 2019.