Thursday 25 February 2021

Fake Wails and Fake Tears

Like Claudia in Toni Morrison's
The Bluest Eye as a young girl I had a strong desire to dismember dolls. And some of my old childhood friends were particularly ugly to look at. I seemed to have a weird attraction to those undesired by other little girls. I found beauty in them, though I'm not sure I could explain what that beauty was. A differentness maybe...
One had a glossy cap of painted hair on an unusually large head, while another after undergoing too many bath times looked like a blonde scarecrow, her hair sparse and sticking out at all angles, for if they weren't that ugly to begin with I made them so. One considered more appealing in a pink romper suit crawled and gave high-pitched wails; I came to detest everything about her as did the dog and the rest of the household. She was punished: her voice silenced and sent to the naughty corner. Permanently. And another, whom I called Andrea, was always naughty, except I liked her for it. She was my 'Amelia-Jane' of the Enid Blyton story with a red mop of hair and huge blue eyes.
But as much as I liked my dolls, something about them offended me. I wasn't exactly a caring 'mother'. They brought out a cruel streak as (again like Claudia) I took their heads, arms and legs off 'to see of what it was made'. Even Barbies were beheaded. These dismemberments, however, usually ended in disappointment because there was nothing more to be found, nothing more to be seen. Their bodies were still hard and unyielding. Their eyes, as Claudia says, were still moronic. It made me want to hurt them. They had flesh-coloured skin yet there was no softness in them. None to be found anywhere, just occasionally a mechanism that made them howl, sometimes cry fake tears or wet themselves.
A mother that was nice; a mother that was horrid. A mother that tried to play nice as she fought the urge to do horrid things; all the 'boy' things that little girls are not supposed to do, like pinch and bite. I strapped them in buggies, I wheeled them in prams; I swaddled and jogged them; I held them by the hand and dragged them on the ground. I let them fall over and scream; I let them lie neglected and made no attempts to pick them up or offer comfort. I changed them, I fed them, from a bottle, from a spoon. One fed as if she was a drunk glug glug glug. I went through these play motions but still failed to understand why I should want to play 'mother'. And why my friends seemed perfectly content with their baby dolls, who were, according to them, perfectly behaved.
They weren't real!
And I never could pretend they were, not to the satisfaction of my imagination anyway. I much preferred the toy appliances I was given; I still like the grown-up versions now, though it doesn't say a lot for feminism, other than the fact that these labour saving devices went some way towards saving women. Time spent beating rugs and scrubbing floors and hand-washing and mangling clothes was returned to spend elsewhere; it just took a while, in the beginning, to find what that time should be spent on. What was a woman's role? Who was she outside of the home?
As a girl-child I chose pretend domesticity over pretend motherhood, and that, too, has been my choice in adult life. It's natural, I think, to want the home to be clean and habitable and the doing and the regularity with which these tasks have to be done I personally find soothing. They de-clutter a busy head. When you're a mother, the choice can't be made between one or the other, you have to do both: you can't escape either entirely, even with help.
But sometimes I wonder how much my experience of playing with dolls has played into the choices I've made? Did I always realised I lacked that something? Can you lack maternal instinct at so young an age?
I held proper conversations with soft animals and knitted people. I saw the human in furry unreal creatures. I saw 'life' in a knitted man or woman. Bears I could cosset and cuddle and love and make real.
Why the urge, the rush to give babies to girls? 

Picture credit: The Popoffs Doll, Teddy Bear and Toy Elephant, Zinaida Serebriakova, 1947 (source: WikiArt).

Written early 2020.