Thursday 4 February 2021

Second Chances

Asking do you believe in second chances is a bit like asking do you believe in fairies. At one time you will and at another time you won't. Neither is as straightforward as you might imagine, because if you want to believe you find you cannot. Believing in either cannot be forced, nor is it true to say that if you believe in one it will follow that you'll believe in the other. Myself, I find fairies, myths and legends easier. And always have done so this is nothing new. But second chances I'm suspicious of. I'll grant them to others but I'm less sure I want them granted to me.
By second chances I mean opportunities perhaps missed or not taken up that come around again, or those that were tried and failed. The problem with 'do-overs' is the past doesn't stay in the past. It's always there, forming a part of your history. You might be different, the circumstances in which the offer or opportunity has again reoccurred might be altered, but still there's always the last time to think of. And if it failed then, what's to say it won't fail again. Or even that the first time can be improved upon.
So you work harder, yes, but that can be a strain and cause ructions. And anyhow I believe, as I've said, there's less of a forward flow in second times; there will always be a harking back or a falling into old patterns. Some things are better left: left where they ended or where they didn't, for whatever reason, happen. Another go may only reinforce what came before or prove what you already knew to be true.
And yet let's be honest I'm making this up as I go along because you don't know when second chances will occur and when they do how you will react. Second chances are impulsive, to be snatched at or flung away. They very rarely come a third time, but in that moment there's very little time for consideration. The decision is made and ruminated upon after, or when it has again all gone awry.
I really couldn't tell you, with any surety, what I'd do if a second chance came along right now. I might lap it up; I might slap it down. I might dismiss it cruelly; I might accept it with unconcealed pleasure. There's no telling.
I would be worried about my own failure however. And I would feel the pressure of getting it right. That worry and that pressure would start instantly, and would shortly be followed by lots of inner questioning and possibly a resurfacing of the same old doubts. Second chances are, for me, red herrings, leading down paths trod, or almost trodden, when really what I should be doing is looking in (and then going) another direction. A second coming of people, of offers are not necessarily there to be taken but to again be refused. They are meant to seduce, yet there's strength in resisting, in turning away and in recognising that whatever it is that's come again is now not right for you. Perhaps it never was and so the decision you originally made, that may have since plagued you, is a plague no more. Your blinded eyes are blind no more. You're done. With feeling regret, remorse or guilt, if those were felt.
But similarly a second chance shouldn't be counted upon. It may not come. What's done is done. And if, by luck, it does come you may regret it came. Words from the wise to the unwise, although none of us are wise in such circumstances when something has again reappeared for us to take, to sample, to redo.
It's the glass half-full, half-empty riddle. In a way. Your view of second chances depends on your attitude to life with its joys and adversities. For myself, half of anything seems too fortunate, and creates confusion within, so my glass is either full or empty; there are no half-measures. It's either all in or all out. Because a second chance is really just another opportunity to stuff up or end on a worse note than before. Though if the latter does occur maybe that note of finality was required. That door now firmly closed; no wonderment remaining. A fresh chapter can begin, where you're less likely to be blown off course and where new patterns will emerge which will be more in tune with the you of now than the you of yesterday. Second chances are a returning to, a revisiting, and should in, my view, only be accepted if you strongly feel the first opportunity was, and has been since, sorely missed. 

Picture credit: Emblemata Dice, M. C. Escher (source: WikiArt).

Written in November 2019.