Thursday 22 December 2022

Telescope

From Coleridge's telescopic introspection to a boy's. A boy's Travels With A Telescope, watching ships, and beginning a voyage of discovery: gender divorced from sex. A boy with dreams of femaleness. The world he wished to inhabit so distant through the glass he felt removed from the human cycle: what part did he have in any of it? He existed, yes, but his mind and body were not One, and therefore as a boy he couldn't be at one with the world. A spiritual Conundum, a spiritual quest. From Wales to stately, intellectual, scholarly Oxford; to Army life and foreign travels. A boy, a man, a woman.
But not a woman, in my opinion, in the true sense of the word. The term is more than a feeling. Woman is a biological experience: it's painful, it's messy, and fluctuates from one extreme to another; a bodily tide of mood and emotion. Woman has a different relationship with her anatomy; chemically, hormonally, there is a difference – a huge country of influence. Boys, men can explore or cross into this terrain, but their lived experience is not Woman, it is Other.
*

I can only judge through the lens of my own lived experience. I do not deny that all mortals have feminine and masculine qualities, nor that one, irrespective of biological gender, will dominate, be the principle ruler, but 'Woman' I translate as Fact; determined biologically, chemically, by Nature. The issue for me is Language, not prejudice. I don't much care what people are; I don't much care for confined spaces – cramped boxes with labels – but I do care when one half of the human race is told they can't hold certain views, nor discuss openly their own idea of 'Woman'. I do care when a people are redefined without any rational debate, just flung hatred. I do care when women are informed their identity, their experience, as seen through their individual lens, is obsolete, and that they must now accept a new language, a new order. Woman, an accommodating gender, is too often dictated to.

Picture credit: Still Life with Telescope, 1927, Max Beckmann (source: WikiArt). 

I refer to Jan Morris' Conundrum and to the initial response it raised within me. Adapted from a journal entry, October 2021.