Thursday 16 April 2020

Spring Butterflies

The tourist season for me started roughly a month to six weeks ago, though I know strictly speaking that's early, extremely early for some; for them it won't start until much, much later, when the weather in most places in Europe is turning from mild and sunny to boiling hot, unless of course you're into skiing; I'm not. Generally speaking, March to May is just iffy, too iffy to guarantee an inclement climate.
My travelling tends to really get going with meteorological Spring; sometimes before if the daffodils and blossom are already out, or when I get an itchy foot. When the top of my right foot starts to itch something chronic then I know my mind needs more, it needs to explore further afield.
I don't go far, in body, that is, but oh, in spirit, I'm right there, wherever the book in my hand has taken me to. That land (and its peoples) may not still exist, be even known by the same name or follow the same customs. The capital, too, might have been moved; moved to higher ground, or established where it was easier to rule and dominate if an empire was in the process of being built.
The world I want to tour is not the world we live in, so I know if I did indeed go to these places as they are now I'd be dissatisfied. Yes, I could go and see for myself Keats' resting place, and antiquities that have been preserved, but would I find Goethe's Italy or Antal Szerb's, Homer's Greece and Virgil's Rome? Or Hemingway's Paris, van Gogh's Arles, Elizabeth von Arnim's RΓΌgen, Pearl Buck's imperial China, and Rumer Godden's East Bengal or Kashmir? Of course not! An essence of, certainly – some staged, some conserved, some sense of in the foundations – but my mind would be decades, even millenniums, behind; modernisms would just interfere and wreck whatever enthusiasm or romanticism I feel about that period. It would, I'm fairly sure, spoil it for me.
And if it does give me some new feeling, then seeing may dilute, if not remove, my enjoyment of the book or liking for the writer. Of course it could enhance those erstwhile impressions too, but I've not yet had that experience. Although you could say I've chosen not to, knowing this might well be the outcome, and so not wishing to diminish either the book or the writer in my estimation I've evaded such travel altogether.
Kernels of truth are hard to admit to, in voice or print, and even harder to read with your own eyes, though I have no qualms in admitting that I'm not a relaxed traveller. The conveyance itself has never bothered me – train, plane, boat, coach, car etc. - but the procedures that comes with these does: the terminal, the check-in, the security measures, the boarding gate, the responsibility of luggage and documentation, and other unavoidable travellers, just like yourself, trying to get to and from somewhere, to the same or different destination, or even to the buffet car. And that's just the start!
For other holiday makers are inescapable, even if you manage to give the ones you're travelling with the slip, because certain spots will attract them from all over. And if there's a constant itinerary which isn't constant at all but is frequently amended and where you're all herded like heifers to places, then if you're anything like me it's not very pleasurable. Though I can also feel this way if I visit a museum. Here, in Britain.
I'm just not great with crowds of people. I don't mind being among them, preferably one of a modest size where's still space in which to move quite freely and in which to breathe, but I dislike being pressed up against or having to push to the front or fight to get to where everyone else also wants to be.
As for seeing the local attractions, or what's left of them, then personally I just can't get close enough. I get this urge to jump over or duck under roped areas. I don't, of course. If I went to China, for instance, I'd want to walk amongst the terracotta warriors and pet the horses. Like a child, I need to touch.
Books, then, on their own, give me greater freedom as a tourist.

Spring butterflies is a term used for tourists by William Golding.

Picture credit: Memories of Travel, 1911, Gino Severini (source: WikiArt).

This post was penned in 2019.