Thursday 4 January 2024

I Am A Story

NEVILLE: Bernard says there is always a story. I am a story.


All of the Waveses are: a story in themselves. Distinguishable from each other; and yet I sometimes forget whom is speaking. They are all waves of the same sea, flowing and curving. I am Jinny; I am Susan; I am Rhoda. I am in my school uniform, the rich green, the dark blue; I see the various mirrors I have looked into: where in the room they were placed, what they showed, what they cut off; I am absorbed in a day-dream as scenes of life flash past car windows.


JINNY: There is nothing staid, nothing settled, in this universe.


Time flows forwards, backwards; memories rise, fall.


BERNARD: There is a wandering thread lightly joining one thing to another.


I am Jinny; I am Susan; I am Rhoda.
I am now Bernard: too complex; I float, unattached. Now Neville, with some fatal hesitancy in my make-up. Now Louis; even Percival. I am all.


See The Waves by Virginia Woolf.

Picture credit: Receding Waves, 1883, Claude Monet (source: WikiArt)

Written June 2022.