Thursday 29 August 2019

Myopia

This morning I awoke to a naked man lying prone, on his back and staring straight up at me. Huh? Where was I? In an upper bunk hanging over the side which in my haste to check whether my companion was asleep or the verge of waking meant I instead saw rather more than expected? Well, I suppose that would a logical (and the most obvious) conclusion, as would be (if you drew it) that it would be plausible to see a naked man first thing rather than, say, in the afternoon.
Yes, I quite concur, but we weren't actually in the same room, or for that matter under the same roof. Nor did I know upon first seeing his form that he was a he because to me it just looked like a pink body and one devoid of any features or distinguishing marks; even the face was a pink blank as if eyes, nose etc. had been peeled off or had yet to be situated. Similar to a cop show where the body, and the position it's been found in, is outlined in chalk except in this case it was coloured in, in one shade of pink, a slightly-too-much-sun tone.
What I did think was:
1. why would anyone (unless drunk or homeless) choose to sleep stretched out atop a bank of industrial bins,and unclothed too, when it wouldn't be the most comfortable of spots? Inside a bin or the ground would be preferable. Even better, a row of chairs or a bench, and of those there were aplenty. Why and how come will become clearer later.
2. And why did it seem strangely flat...was it fact a pink bodysuit?
My initial assessment done, I should tell you, without my glasses when everything seems more blob-like than sharp and as I drew back the living room curtains to a new day and to my regular view: an emptied, save for the seating and a few shrubs, pub garden. So a body wouldn't have been entirely out of the question, but foul play?
Some people at this point might have reached for the phone and dialled 999, hopefully because blessed with better sight their eyes only confirmed what their mind already thought: it was a human body, but with my sight being what it is I decided to locate my glasses before returning to the scene and making that phone call.
This was quickly done, and the full scene revealed: a deflated naked man, of the blow-up doll and hen party kind, with dark hair and facial features and a smattering of black chest hair, who looked happy enough lying there, abandoned. I imagine he was grateful to have escaped a horde of clutching, pinching hands and being waved aloft.
Imagine if the Police had been called out to that though? Turning up sirens blaring with plain-clothes investigative officers and a forensic team.
Or me racing down in my pyjamas to check if he was breathing; were there injuries? Better the latter than the former I suppose. I would have laughed at myself (once my heart had calmed) as I did when my vision had been restored to 20/20, provided, of course, I hadn't taken the six short flights of stairs, short-sightedly, and had my own accident.
Later, when I checked to ascertain his whereabouts he had been removed, and was now instead of lying flat across the bins crumpled up behind them, in a foetal-like position. Later still, he was still behind the bins but further scrunched up like a used Greggs bag. I almost pitied him, for this abasement, as if he was deserving of more respect. A decent throwing-away. Or at least a more sensible one. But then the pub I overlook isn't often that.
I've been meaning to bring in Gustave Flaubert's friend and literary conscience, Louis Bouilhet, also referred to by Flaubert as his 'left testicle', though other than that nickname how he's relevant I don't see; the thought however has continued to nag, largely because of his rumoured remark to a self-conscious girl: 'when the chest is flat, one is nearer the heart.'
I wonder if that's somehow also true if the body's entirely flat, pulsing and breathing but flat like a washboard, as well as when it's without life or just a different level of it. What is the heart after all? An organ that keeps us alive and/or a spiritual core that makes us who and what we are but is hard to describe.
Ever the philosopher, almost disapprovingly so when myopia's the cause.

Picture credit: Elementary Cosmogony, 1949, Rene Magritte (source: WikiArt).

All posts published this year were penned during the last.