Thursday 8 August 2019

Disarmed

The other night I had a violent dream, of violence done to another and witnessing it, of being upset, though not shaking with it, and crying, for real. The wet eyes surprised me upon waking; I'd thought they were just a dream-effect and hadn't expected a manifested welling.
It's not often I have dreams that have the power to move me, ones where I'm emotionally invested or involved. Usually there's a split of self which is heavily in favour of passively observing a weaker, projected self, but on this occasion the ratio of that divide was reversed.
And what was weird was that this particular dream placed me in a world I'd hadn't been in for twelve years, set as it was in my second office job at a time when I was well established there as Customer Relations Manager. The everyday motions were as I remember: my assistant and I seated behind our half-moon desk, heads bent over trade orders to be booked for delivery with goods-in departments.
Yes, it was that boringly detailed and really, nothing special; what you would think of as a casual remembrance when a certain task becomes routine. And when the people around you, the different teams, are getting on with their day too, as they also were in the dream: their familiar faces in front of screens concentrating, the atmosphere hushed but not silent. The kind of comfortableness that arises when a group of people are used to one another.
Thus far, a reassuring dream, with a rosy-tint about it. Yes, and it might have stayed that way, largely uneventful, had a gunman not burst in and killed a loved-by-all colleague, point-blank, then made his exit. What he came for achieved in a matter of seconds, like the appearance of an extra in a play whose walk-on part is brief but leaves chaos behind. A catalyst. An instigator. For what? Nobody is ever quite sure at the time. That comes later, possibly, when it's all played out. Dreams, however, never get that far.
There were no words or screams, that I remember, and no body. My colleague was there, then he wasn't, and the gunman too didn't leave any impression of himself - what he wore or looked like. I could have sworn he had on a balaclava, but my mind might have added that detail because I also doubt I really saw him, looked him square in the eyes or took in any of his fleeting presence; and these types of scenarios – real or imagined – would conjure up hoods and masks, and military-style or hunting apparel. I wouldn't even be able to tell you what sort of gun it was, just that I saw what looked like one which I fancied had a long barrel and that a shot was fired. I guess witnesses (to real crimes) have these moments too, so that testimonies while not false are true and untrue because the mind blocks and fills in gaps.
In this instance, the gunman wasn't the focus of the dream. I don't know how I knew that, but I did. And my colleague, though much liked and as inconceivable as it was that he was the victim, wasn't either. It was the tears and the accusations in the aftermath. As to the right way, the socially accepted way, to show shock. To demonstrate grief. The murder victim claimed by his sub-team, giving them the authority (so they believed) to point fingers at those outside their clique reacting differently, and so heightening the general emotionality of the office. An accusative finger was pointed at me for continuing to go about our business, the business of the company and my role, for having had it impressed upon me that trade orders were always a priority. Above a sudden death? Well, yes. That's how it was in the dream. Failure to meet deliveries resulted in fines. A death wasn't going to alter that.
I can't really tell you how I regarded my dutiful response, during or coming to, other than puzzled. My actions seemed rational at the time, if a little remote, but to justify it consciously is harder.
Like most dreams I'll never fully understand it...and it will be replaced, just as this was the following night when instead of being in an office I was dancing in a field, on a summer's day, around a white Cadillac, its bodywork glinting in the sun.

Picture credit: The Obsession, 1928, Rene Magritte (source: WikiArt).

All posts published this year were penned during the last.