Thursday 5 December 2019

According to Legend

My mother forgot, in her long labour and subsequent tiredness, to perform a crucial rite, and so it fell to my nan, her mother; and she, though resourceful in the circumstances – I lay in a bassinet, checked on by nurses, in a special baby unit – only managed to touch the tiniest spot of tender flesh with blessèd water, dropped from a phial. The lightest of fingers brushed my forehead, and then the sign, the sign of the cross , was made, in plain sight of starched-uniformed nurses and white-coated doctors.
The medical profession once believed, really believed (I don't know what they believe now) they were also gods (and goddesses), and behaved as such, so, maybe, this ritual, carried out on unconsecrated hospital grounds was fitting; particularly since they had delivered me, safely though prematurely, into the world.
My mother, numbed with exhaustion and already thinking what new hell have I entered into? whilst I, an angry, shocked red and screaming bundle with a mass of dark hair, was whisked away. My hands curled into fists, my mouth open in wail: take me back, right now! to that pale, depleted woman, with people fussing round her.
An exaggeration but then I don't remember and so I'm using my imagination here.
And so Nan came. With her holy water. It might have seemed imperative to carry out this duty to her first-born grandchild. If it's true. But would it matter if it wasn't? It's the story I've been told (okay, okay some of it), but I have no reason to doubt their word, that of my nan or those told to my mother and later passed on to me.
I was never going to be baptised, officially, by a man (it would likely have been a man then) in vestments, since my parents did not adhere to that, nor any religiosity or superstition, but Nan might have felt, due to my early, drawn-out birth and her catholic faith, it was required, and therefore couldn't wait.
I have wondered since, however, what good, if any, it's done me. Has it kept me safe? Or in her haste, has it been the undoing of me?
The sign of cross meaningless, just a placebo effect (blasphemy! blasphemy!) because the water's the thing. In which to gain immortality, or immunity, you need to be dipped into, head to toe, or perhaps, if you're a baby, bathed in. Thereby, any places untouched are vulnerable to injuries and ailments.
Just as Achilles' mother, the sea-goddess Thetis, discovered, to her cost, too, because with it came the loss of her godlike son, swift Achilles. The legend goes that in his infancy, she'd plunged him in the River Styx and neglected the heel, by which she held him by, and it was there that later the fatal arrow of Paris found its mark, in vengeance for his brother, Hector, which then led, in part, to the dark swirling down to shroud his eyes. For the Fates and Apollo had a hand too. As did Zeus, the King of Gods, who'd nodded his assent and allowed his downfall to be planned.
Due to learning this I've wondered: could this explain why, from the back of the skull down, I suffer complaints or wounds? The holy water only caressing the spot where later a lock of hair would rest, and so migraines when they come grip the sides and back of the head, never across the forehead.
And growing up, I had all the common childhood illnesses, in quick succession, as well as annual bouts of tonsillitis and wheezy coughs. At night, too, I endured calves that burned and were taut with pain. I've suffered sprains, a damaged right toe, a left ankle that gives way and knees that crack. As well as eczema and a non-malignant lump. I have a weak ear and my eyes, a while ago, lost their natural ability to see distance, which is an irony I laugh at for my star sign is that of the Archer. I should have been a goat.
But I have been hit on that spot, the very spot where I assume the water dropped, with a workman's tool: a hammer wielded by my then Herculean three year old cousin. I was seven and all I got was a nasty bump. So perhaps, that place is invulnerable after all.

Picture credit: Thetis dippping Achilles into the River Styx (design for antique cameo brooch). 

All posts published this year were penned during the last.