Thursday 19 December 2019

Piggy and Ralph

July 2018. A fresher and cloudier day than those gone before but there are signs that it will soon burn off. And the temperature is rising.
I'm in a park with three companions: two, two legged and one, four, though this morning he's a little unsteady. One of his back legs keeps slipping, but otherwise he seems happy enough with his tennis ball clamped in his jaws. Dropping it, then chasing after it on his extension lead; dropping it and then forgetting it as he's found another smell that's more enticing, so that his master has to retrieve the ball and place it in his trouser pocket for safe keeping, or at least until George wants it again. He tells you by woofing and looking imploringly at you, though he does the same when he wants biscuits.
I've never been to this park before. It's more than a park, really, with pathways under trees and a large green space, with benches, and a fenced-in picnic-play area for families. There's a small café, too, with indoor and outdoor seating. And across the road, from the entrance, there's a lavender field, which very recently has broken into bloom.
We take a paved path, under trees, George leading his master, with myself and another, in conversation, behind, when from the left hand side, two schoolboys burst, cutting across us and the track. Chasing each other, weaving in and out of bushes and trees, in glorious flight with smiles plastered on their faces. Both have on white shirts and grey shorts; only one has a striped school tie fastened round his head. “It's Piggy and Ralph” my companion said.
We all laughed because it was true. In an instant, of it being said, that's who they became. There, right before my eyes was Ralph chasing Piggy; and then, a moment later, Piggy lumbering behind, trying to catch energetic Ralph up.
We saw them them a few times, always the same, one following after the other. Except when they tried to get into their navy blue school mini-bus, but, on finding it locked and unattended, raced off again into the greenery.
After that, they disappeared. Just as abruptly as when they had first come into view. There was no sign of them on the open common; just little dogs frolicking and telling each other off with high pitched barks.
No other schoolboys showed up. No unruly tribe in a state of undress, or one with a painted mask to set himself apart from the one with the tie. No gaggle of them either with a teacher or an authoritative figure. Strange, that. I thought so at the time, but didn't remark on it.
It wasn't, to my knowledge, World Book Day. So it was just two boys being boys, which, weird as it might be to say it, was good to see.
But to have two book characters suddenly materialise was, well, interesting, as well as thought-provoking, particularly since it wasn't all that long ago I read Lord of Flies.
Was this going to happen from now on?
Had I been on the Downs when horses were being exercised, I wouldn't have been at all surprised if knights of King Arthur had arrived, as that had occurred lately. The scene transmogrified before my eyes, but that, I realised, was my imagination - it didn't then develop into a live re-enactment. No, this occurrence was certainly not that. I wasn't immersed in anything but the walk, and the scene, itself, didn't transform, magically, just for me i.e. I wasn't the only one to see them.
No, this was an overlap of realities as the park with its stone paths and parched grass remained exactly as it was. Piggy and Ralph chose to make themselves manifest for some reason, perhaps desiring a change from their island territory to this rather more inhabitable, and gentrified, park. Perhaps their bus had broken down...in an updated version of the tale, and the others were scattered somewhere... although the bus looked to me in fine condition: no obvious dents to its body or scratches to its paintwork.
I would think of that possibility though, wouldn't I? Anyhow, my modern reworking was further flawed when I saw the bus leave...with nobody on board...

Picture credit: Piggy and Ralph, Lord of the Flies, 1963 film.

All posts published this year were penned during the last.