Thursday 26 December 2019

The Right to Speak

With a wood-carved sea horse, approximately twenty-one inches in height, balanced on my left palm, I now speak to you.
These kind of councils don't happen very often, and I don't have the kind of wealth, beauty or intelligence (nor anyone that would swear to it falsely or even say that I own these modestly) that would overrule this ancient custom, though in years to come I foresee it being abandoned. The young don't appreciate time-honoured rituals. Or laws, come to that; lawless mob.
Yes, the young amongst you, I see your shocked faces, but it's true. You don't respect your elders, their opinions, nor the laws of our land. You show some reverence here, but personally I think you're biding your time; plotting behind our backs.
I know we're a lot of crusty old-timers, in age or thought or both, but tradition – the continuance of it- has so far won out. And all of us here, on the board, cast our vote or abstained, so why complaint? We all had a hand in the outcome.
Yes, yes, you'll get the chance to challenge me, or agree with me, when I've finished.
You, over there. Yes, you, young man – put your arm down. This isn't a classroom; I'm not a teacher. Wait your turn if you have a speaking slot; if not, you'll have to apply for one, at the back there, or convince someone else to give theirs up for you.
Please, if you're new – promoted from within or from outside – read the handbook. There are rules. As you will know if you've chosen to accept the invitation to join us there are procedures, so don't be a fool and don't read them.
You'll never get anywhere here, or in life, if you come in too hard. You must win allies. Dissent is no good on the benches if you have no influence in the inner sanctum.
I should know – I was young once. With fire in my belly.
Again with the faces. What? Does that surprise you? A woman who speaks like a man, pragmatically, with less emotion. You can, you know, when you look back.
But it's not of this I wish to now speak. I had my day to rage and try to effect change. Though I never, so I thought, made protest for protest's sake. The power to speak, then, would have been wasted, when women were given fewer opportunities to do so. For if you want a slot you have to make your case. Make your argument, your points for or against, convincing, or the issue you wish to raise a pressing or a compelling one. Then those that attend will want to listen, will want to attend to your words as well as the tone and rhythm of them.
Women are luckier in their endeavours to manipulate, with words, since their voices can be soothing and melodic, and stirring. Men, I think, struggle more. They talk of action, action in real terms, whereas women talk of it less yet inspire it.
But pick your battles. Carefully. Wisely. Only engage in those you believe in, not those you don't have the heart for. Nor those you know instinctively aren't worth the fight and will bring only pain and bloodshed, no reward.
The weighing up is the most important part. Don't, if you're young, be too reactionary, and don't, if you're past the flush of youth, just debate and stall.
Hear these words, even if they're coming to you from afar. From long ago, so forward are you in the future. They will, I think, still stand. Perhaps, knock some lost, some forgotten sense into you.
Where order's established, there's more common sense and far less pantomime.
But what right have I to speak my mind? Just this wood-carved sea horse I'm holding, as you see before you, which as you know represents our origins, for we hail from sea people, brought to shore as the legend goes by Neptune's horses.
That is all.
I went through the usual channels, as I've always done, to address you today, just to say Eleutherostomia is a right I support and hope we continue to observe, according to our traditions.

Picture credit: The Return of Neptune, 1753, John Singleton Copley (Source: WikiArt).

All posts published this year were penned during the last.