Thursday 30 January 2020

Eleven Years

Last Wednesday, I celebrated an anniversary. Well, when I say celebrated what I really mean is that it was noted as it is every year in the diary. I did nothing in the way of marking it, other than to think upon it and perhaps I remarked on it to one or two people. It was really nothing special, not a birthday or a wedding. Nor anything sad, like so many years since someone loved had passed. They don't make cards for it. Nor am I suggesting that they should begin to. There are too many cards for too many occasions, for friends, couples and family members. A day for this, a day for that, and a card specifically for. All I get is my birthday. Oh, and Christmas, though less and less people mark that with the giving of cards. I'm one of them. Well, which is to say I only give them to a select few. The rest get email greetings or a text.
Christmas is overrated in my view. And I'm a December baby.
But we're not talking Christmas, we're talking anniversaries, or we were at any rate before I went off piste. Oh, I wish I hadn't used that word because now I want to mention skiing, specifically a dry slope run I once did where my skis got all tangled up in the netting. That outing was not my idea of fun, though I think that had less to do with the fact that the setting was fake and more to do with the fact that I didn't take to it. When you've always felt your feet were somewhat large – too long and too narrow – then putting on skis reinforces that complex, especially when you've entered, or are about to, the throes of puberty. If they'd put me in a sleigh with a driver and a pack of huskies I'd have been happier. Hey, I might even have whooped with delight if any bends had been taken fast. But I don't imagine you can replicate that in a country that gets little snowfall.
Yes, I know, I've done it again; huskies have absolutely nothing to do with the passing of time and the marking of it, but have you ever noticed what incredible eyes they have? Just saying...because maybe the wolf in Red Riding Hood wasn't a wolf at all but an Eskimo dog? Those eyes are mesmerising, and I'm sure they'd survive just as well in a forest. Angela Carter, if she were still here, would have something to say about that.
She's been gone a lot longer than eleven years (she died in '92), yet she still has new words to say to me. Richard Yates found eleven kinds of loneliness, which I haven't found with him yet though I keep meaning to. And I've passed eleven years, a week and a day in the one place. Well, to be precise, I've been in the area all my life, but eleven years in this flat. Sorry, apartment. I don't want to bring the tone down. It doesn't seem possible, but it is. It's happened. And never once during this time have I known my neighbours, not those next door or those on the opposite side of the corridor, or those above or below or in my core, or anyone in the other three, which interlock and form the whole apartment block.
Now, don't go assuming it's me. That I'm unneighbourly. No, I'm just one of a handful of owners that actually live here. The vast majority are rented out or are short-term lets, serviced and used by travellers – on business and for leisure purposes - which is surprising given the area, though we are in good commuting distance of London and all its attractions. The two on my corridor are just that. I've never known, for sure, from one week to the next whom I'm living alongside. One week it's a beefy man and the next a petite and sweet-looking woman. But mostly it's rare to see anybody, anywhere in the building, not in the lift and not on the stairs. It's all just row upon row of blank wooden doors, each with a single lidless eye that stares.
Yet, it's been as I said eleven years. And to which I still think: How has that happened? And where the only person I know to speak to is the cleaner of the communal parts and a very nice girl who services the apartment next door. Visitors, should a chance encounter arise, are visibly taken aback if I say I've lived here for as long as I have, for there's this belief that it's for the transient, only. People on the move or those saving to buy. I've therefore made what some think the equivalent of a hotel my home. Except that in this spot, from 1929-1960, there was a cinema. So that's where I've been for the last eleven years: at the picture house. 

Picture credit: The Capitol Cinema (source: Epsom & Ewell History Explorer).