Thursday 2 January 2020

Resolutions None

Beans. A funny topic with which to start the new year, inspired (as it is) by 2018's Christmas dinner, so not even what you can call current, just recent history. The idea for – the dinner and this piece - given by a painting; a painting Alexander McCall Smith described, almost to perfection, in one of his standalone novels. The painting as well as the setting of that novel led to my very unconventional Italian Christmas supper, though it was not in the end a stew, but Tuscan-style beans with penne pasta.
Why write of it? Why is that so very remarkable? It's not; just different because other writers will be penning articles on new year's resolutions, on sales and holidays in the sun, on the many ways to lose some pounds and beat the bulge through diet and exercise. That, in my view, is so predictable, too boring, and none of the information they spurt out is new, just recycled and repeated, which, if you give it some thought, is a perfect system with very little cost.
Ah cynicism, my old friend. Well, it is January. And I don't know about other countries, but here – the UK- January tends to be grey in tone and mood. It's only just January!, I hear you exclaim, yes, but Christmas was a long time coming, in that shops stock items earlier and earlier, and that, I find, is a little taxing to the spirit, unless of course you live for this time of year. Some people do, you know. I'm obviously not one of them. I'm not sure that if you did as a child the same feeling continues once grown. You may have exhausted it...perhaps if you didn't have it as a child, you develop it when adult? A late onset childlike excitability over forthcoming birthdays and Christmases and parties. Or perhaps you've always been naturally inclined that way, akin to a dog excited by walks. Wag, wag, wag, where's my collar? There's my collar! Put it on me. Now for my coat and fetch my lead while I bounce and bounce and jump at and all over your feet and woof. There are a few adults like that... I just haven't, as of yet, found them infectious.
Other things, viruses and the like, are though. The Tuscan bean supper accompanied a very poor end to the year and a rather pathetic beginning to the next of that ilk, until I convinced myself I would, as Humpty Dumpty recommends to Alice (in Wonderland), have an un-birthday, and possibly an un-Christmas too. I cannot tell you whether I did or didn't because well, I'm not in that time-frame of having decided whether I will or won't.
Eh? I won't explain if you don't mind, it would take too long. But you have time! Do I? Who are you to say? Perhaps it's already run out. And time, the keeping to it and the passing of it, is tricky in the winter months.
Oh dear, oh dear, time is running, running, as the White Rabbit would also be if he were here, and I've barely touched on the beans of the painting. Or the painting itself.
Would you think it insufficient if all I told you was the man portrayed in it – the bean eater – seems to be enjoying his beans? You need more... well, he has a hungry look in his eyes and a spoon of them are poised to go into his mouth. I think he would have gone more wolfishly about them, had not the artist, Annibale Carracci, been there to catch that pose. Was he there though? Or was it a Blue Peter moment: an image he'd seen earlier and captured in his mind to later release on canvas? No, I haven't done the legwork, that research, that any good writer should do.
I've never once said I was good, have I? In any sense, I don't think, writing or otherwise. And so you can't, to be fair, expect that of me. This is a need, not a profession. I couldn't stop if I was asked to or if I, myself, wanted to. Maybe for Lent. No, I couldn't. Beans, then? You can't live on nothing, though there are some people who would refute that. Air, they say, air. Does that apply to polluted air though? Research required there too, but I'm not the person to do it.
I did, however, spend a few minutes closely studying the painting to see if I could work out exactly what type of bean the eater is eating. And my conclusion, though you may disagree and even argue with me, is black-eyed.

Book recommendation: My Italian Bulldozer, Alexander McCall Smith.

Picture credit: The Bean Eater, 1590, Annibale Carracci.

All posts published this year were penned in 2019.