Thursday 30 April 2020

Greek-speaking Pool

Last year I spent a good portion of time dedicating myself to Greek in translation: Greek poets, Greek dramatists, Greek philosophers and Greek historians, naturally with gaps in-between, which other reading material filled in, because too much of that would make your mind at first swell then burst or spin. Even so I wafted around in this Greek bubble. My mind expanding as well as revelling in the betrayals, the abductions, the incest, the infants abandoned on hilltops and mountainous slopes, the slaughter, the prophecies of the oracles and the petitioning of kings and gods.
This wasn't the first time I had dipped a toe in and then plunged my whole body, but on this second baptism I was going deeper, under, even. On occasion I spluttered and then later came up gasping for air. So good. So juicy. So political. So rich and powerful, in images and words.
I wondered if these Greek waters were an escape from Brexit? Or had I paved the way to them the year before; in other words, had Homer opened up a door, which I was now being led through and into the passage beyond it, and down some steps into deeper waters, until only my head was above them?
I don't think it was more one or the other. I was just ready: to make up lost time and in the same breath - when I permitted myself to breathe - worry that time would run out before I'd read all I wanted to read. The age of my eyes played on my mind, too, but now is not the moment to explain this. I don't know if I could put it in terms that would be understood, anyway. It just seemed, to me, then, a factor that needed to be factored in. So many books...which at moments was a scary and an awesome thought, particularly when I kept finding more....then more, classic and contemporary, and which all said: read me.
But it was to the Greek I kept returning: verse, prose, tragedies, comedies, dramatic monologues, philosophical dialogues, histories and political themes and biographies, as well as the myths, retold or explained. Aeschylus, Euripides, Sophocles, Aristophanes, Apollonius of Rhodes, Plato, Aristotle, Herodotus, Alexander the Great. Natalie Haynes, Edith Hall, Tom Holland, Stephen Fry, and some renowned translators. But you can't really do ancient Greece without getting pulled a little, or a lot, into ancient Rome, which launches you into waters that are not too unfamiliar but just unfamiliar enough to set you off on a whole new course of reading.
Words have long been my drug of choice, but this Greek-speaking pool, though willingly re-entered, was intoxicating and impregnating, and all-consuming as if, like Orestes, I was being pursued by the furies, although I knew not of what wrong I had committed. There was no blood on my hands, only book-print and ink from the notes made with a leaky pen. And oh, maybe some beetroot stains because I was in a beetroot phase then.
All family members that were alive at that time were, when I checked, still very much alive, so if they were indeed after me (which the high incidence of storm clouds and insects in my local area seemed to testify to), then it was, unusually for them, for something other than murder but which still, in their view, demanded vengeance or justice.
I came to the conclusion that the prime driving force in this pursuit was Megaera, one of the three sisters as recognised, I think, by Virgil, the Roman poet, for the madness seemed to descend whenever I took a breath, a break from Greek and took up non-Greek reading matter. Megaera, as her name implies, obviously then flew into a jealous rage and with her sisters, Allecto and Tisiphone, hounded me until I once again plunged into the Greek-speaking pool. Although that's not to say these furies then left me; they were soothed that was all.
Ultimately, they're always with me, as are their demands that everything should have a link, even a tenuous one, to ancient or modern Greece; and if not Greece then Rome. They go so far as to put books in my path and send heralds with messages of new verse translations and retelling of myths. Their current behaviour is, you could say, more kindly than angry, but only as long as I comply will these waters through which I steer remain calm. 

Picture credit: The Return of Ulysses, 1968, Giorgio  de Chirico.

This post was penned in 2019.