Thursday 2 April 2020

The Golden Lion

Walking into the jaws of a lion is unlike that of being swallowed whole by a whale.
Geppetto and Pinocchio, if they could be consulted, would confer and agree with that statement. For they have had one experience and I have had the other, or a version of it, in that their occupancy in the whale's belly was by accident, whereas mine, in the lion's, was an impulse I obeyed.
Had it been a real lion whose jaws I was about to enter who knows how I would have behaved? I like to think the human instinct to slowly back away or run would have overpowered my trance-like state, but maybe not...surely though the sight of sharp teeth would have done it, broken the spell I didn't know I was under...
In this instance, however, there were no fierce teeth to provoke fear, just two double doors, which before I even raised a fist to knock at were opened. Silently, with no protesting creaks from the hinges, and as if pulled on a cord tied to the handle of another unseen door or pulled back by an invisible hand. Ahead there stood a desk with nobody behind it; I advanced towards it. Weary from my journeying, I jabbed impatiently at the brass bell on its counter. A little man in a suit with a top hat and tails appeared from a room at the back and bowed with a much-practised and well-executed flourish, 'What can we do for you, sir?'
Amazed at the question, thinking that by entering such an establishment it would be obvious, and by his apparel I was blunt in my answer: 'A room, Man!' I said.
'Certainly, if you'll just follow me, sir.' This he uttered with some authority though no diary was consulted or key selected from any of those hanging up behind him, and in a clipped though not unfriendly tone. He was all efficiency and smiles as he led me up a winding staircase and down and around countless corridors which were strangely devoid of doors, and asked me this and that. Where I'd come from, where I'd been, what was I doing in this part of the world etc. I don't now recall my responses, just the sense that I didn't think he was listening and knew all I was telling him anyway.
Tired, and in spite of my unease, my defences were down. I was almost asleep on my feet by the time we came to a halt by a four-poster bed, set all by itself, on an open landing, with wooden beams overhead and a dormer window overlooking resplendent gardens. When had it got so light outside, it wasn't when I arrived; it was approaching dusk, but no sooner had this puzzling thought occurred, it left, as had the man in the top hat and tails who just a moment ago had been beside me. I remember mumbling to myself: 'too many corridors' as I begun to unbutton my shirt and then I must have fallen, in a dead swoon, for I woke up later, lying face-and-body-down across the counterpane, still clothed and with my booted feet hanging off the side of the bed.
The first view when I lifted my head was of a breakfast tray set on a dressing table, which when I went to look only had on it a cup of tea and a folded piece of paper. I'd been summoned to lunch in the gardens and instructed to wear the clothes laid out on the chair. I tapped my watch, it was indeed a quarter to midday. The blue frock-coat and buff waistcoat fitted perfectly, but how to get to these gardens?
It was then that I saw the dormer window from before had turned into French doors, leading onto a terrace where stone steps took you into the gardens; and there under a tree with many trunks a table had been set, ready for its guests. I positioned myself in a high-backed chair with a red velvet seat because the other had craved in its back the monogram L which I presumed was the initial of my host.
In truth, I was half-expecting the little man from yesterday, but barely a minute had passed when a lion appeared. A real golden lion with a beautiful shaggy mane who nonchalantly stretched himself out underneath and curled his tail round a leg of my chair.
It seems by accepting their hospitality I had sealed my fate: allowed the other man to escape and made myself the new keeper of the Lion.

Picture credit: Lion Afternoon, Jacek Yerka (source: WikiArt).

Inspired by Goethe's Italian Journey (1786-1788).

This post was penned in 2019.