Thursday 21 May 2020

A Nose Like No Other

A mouth, through a mouth and through another mouth, has Cyrano de Bergerac say:
'Out of the question!
It makes my blood run cold, the mere suggestion
Of changing a comma.'
Why so many mouths to utter these simple lines? Because they were issued first by the playwright, then the translator and then the character, based on a real person but played by an actor, so actually I'm missing a mouth. There should be four, or maybe five, since the the real person and the character aren't entirely one and the same, and the actor, when he's not acting, is his own person, unless his whole identity has become inseparable from this being he plays on the stage.
But why these lines when there are others that are more comical, particularly those in reference to his nose, or those composed as he duels?
All in good time, gentleman. In good time, ladies. Time, people.
Kiddies, run off and play. Watch Pinocchio. Save Cyrano for when your noses too have grown a little.
I guess I should comment – while we're on it – on noses. The Jewish, the Roman, the button, the beak, the conk, the snout. The Jewish are said to be hooked, the Roman, aquiline, which also means hooked but is a nobler sounding word, or is described as over-pronounced or over-projected, and I think there's the Greek too although I don't know what that sort is said to look like. Apparently, there are fourteen types. As well as plenty that have broken away from their original owners to, as in Gogol's story, lead lives of their own, except they didn't decide to, no, they were forced to by accident or design.
What of my own? Well, I can't say I've ever been fond of it. Its size, its shape, but it's mine and doesn't do too bad a job detecting smells. My paternal grandfather's pet name for me was button-nose, but I always thought that was in jest because as far as I could see it wasn't a button at all. Not cute or small, but long and prominent. And to my dismay, a feature that couldn't possibly, through my eyes, be overlooked or denied.
Another pet name given to me around about this time, or maybe a little later, was Erica Snozz, but that came to me from the maternal side.
So who was right? Who was telling the truth and who was veiling it?
And the winner was: The Snozz, which made it take on Gonzo-like proportions, except with oversized nostrils that flared like a bull's. Gonzo (formerly the Great), if you're aware of the muppet of whom I'm speaking of, doesn't have any nostrils or any nose-hole at all that you can see, just a baby elephant trunk planted on his face. However he still maintains he's a handsome devil.
Was mine, is mine really like that? No, I should think not. But my nostrils are flared and if you stare at things long enough, well...
Peace now reigns. Although I don't suppose I would appreciate cracks about it or, like Cyrano, anticipate them and so make them myself. Cyrano excels in quick repartee; I don't. He also likes to issue challenges to fight and assembles poems as he does so: And at the Coda's end I hit! I can't say I possess the sword-fighting or the couplet-writing skill.
Yet the real, historical Cyrano de Bergerac had in all likelihood a most average-looking nose. The myth of its unusual longness was invented by an enthusiast, posthumously, after a new edition of his writings had been published and now outshines even his most enduring work, ably assisted of course by Edmond Rostand's heroic comedy. The latter, too, has withstood the test of time.
And finally, it's time to explain my opening scene, which actually comes in Act II The Poet's Bakery, on page 54, chosen not because they are the finest sparring lines Cyrano speaks, but because they are the truest. He's as proudly wedded to his nose as to the lines he writes. 

Recommendation: Cyrano de Bergerac, Emond Rostand (Translated by Christopher Fry, Oxford World's Classics)

Picture credit: Actor BenoĆ®t Constant Coquelin dressed as Cyrano de Bergerac. Illustration by Percy Anderson, 1906 (source: Wikipedia)

This post was penned in 2019.