Thursday 14 May 2020

Mouthpiece

In an email dated 7th March 2019 I commented to my uncle: 'I still struggle sometimes with the Choruses in Greek drama. I like them; I like them not. In Phoenician Women, they're a distraction from the action of the two sons/brothers of Oedipus coming to blows.'
Basically, what frustrated me in relation to that particular Euripidean tragedy was the delay and interruption to the dramatic action; my uncle however (and to be fair I could have expressed myself in clearer terms) interpreted the above remark literally, and via a different mouthpiece - my mother - said to tell me: they were essential to, something, something, time and setting. This is what happens when messages are passed on. But then it could be I closed my ears, if, for my example, my mother chose to communicate this when my thoughts were otherwise engaged.
Their essentialness was not what I was disputing, if it was, as it now seemed, I was disputing it at all. No, I didn't think I was. What I was attempting to understand was why sometimes I enjoyed their collective voice and at others I didn't. And then I realised this Shakespearean-like refrain: I like them; I like them not, occurred mostly with Euripides, though not with all his tragedies, just some, and I didn't think the blame could be laid at the translator's door, for if that was the case then surely this dislike would arise with all the plays contained in one volume, or whenever I read those translated by the same translator. And it hadn't. It didn't. It doesn't still. Therefore, I reasoned it must be something peculiar to Euripides.
In this supposition at least, I was right.
For I found an opinion which supported that conjecture (though whether it's widely held I couldn't say for I know very few who share my fever for Greek plays), in which it was claimed Sophocles' choral writing (as compared to Euripides) was superior. My only misgiving was that the author of this article might have based this solely on Sophocles winning more competitions, which, on its own, is not a sound base for any argument – the winning of or the losing of, for victors of such contests are determined by the favour of the public and the judging panel. It's all a little too whimsy; Sophocles was just more successful on more occasions than Euripides (if I am to believe the article) which could be for any number of reasons. Perhaps, as a person, he was better liked? Or courted the right people? Or maybe the spectators also grew tired of and frustrated with Euripides' choruses. Would they have heckled? I haven't found any accounts of any such displays.
Grecians were civilised peoples, weren't they? With lofty ideals? Anyway, this wasn't exactly cabaret and 'bring on the dancing girls', though the chorus did, in its own manner, dance and, in unison, spoke or sang its lines.
H'm, lamenting 'dancing girls' then, although sometimes they weren't women but men, who would comment in a collective voice on the unfolding drama: expressing what couldn't be said, providing insight where it was needed, or giving a hist-myth lesson to the uninitiated or to refresh the memory of the initiates. It's the latter that causes me the most vexation, because there are instances – in Euripides – where it doesn't seem very relevant to the plot and is an unnecessary interlude. I never skip pages, but I'm tempted to, for it usually comes at a moment when the action has reached a peak or a crucial point, and then goes on and on.
Yet in spite of that, I love Euripides' 'meaty' monologues and the voice he gave to political themes. As well as to women, particularly that of Medea, although there's a view that this monologue was made in defence of himself and put in the mouth of his heroine. Even if that's true, his Medea has a potency that's hard to forget or equal.
His choruses just fall short of the mark, a little flat, that's all (as do at times his too-neat conclusions), when they could have been more built-in into his plays, but I'm sure he would have been aware of this weakness. How could he not be if on occasion Sophocles beat him?
A chorus was expected but could their essentialness have strangled Euripides' creativity? With the result being that Sophocles (and dare I say Aeschylus too?) was the better choral master.

Picture credit: Their Master's Voice, Michael Sowa (source: WikiArt).

This post was penned in 2019.