Thursday 28 May 2020

Ah, Yes, Virginia Woolf

She, of the strong nose and distinctive style. An experimenter and innovator, as stated by Jeanette Winterson in a foreword to my favourite novel. A lover, so I presume, of words. But, in fact, they may have been a foe, even if she did enjoy them so. Friend and tormentor in equal measure, with Virginia in-between.
Between the Acts is, besides being her last, her finest work. Fictional work. Yet the manuscript hadn't been revised and may have been destroyed if Virginia's wishes had been carried out. She was full of doubts about it.
Like her, I'm sure you're (as she did with her publisher) questioning the statement I just made. Favourite novel! Finest work! As well as possibly my authority to make it. I haven't dissected it as you might in a English Literature course, and with it pulled all her other previous works apart. I like to mostly glide along the surface. That's how all literature should be read; you can try to understand too much.
Ah, yes, Virginia Woolf, I've read, struggled with as well as drank copiously from, forgotten, remembered and very occasionally come back to. All as a reader, a simple reader with no BA (Hons), Masters or PhD to my name.
This is just a view and views change. Even I may not agree with myself in future, but at present Between the Acts, is, for me, a work I still think of and turn to – in mind if not to its physical pages – since it provides a side of Virginia we don't often see.
Oh, but what about Flush and Orlando, and To the Lighthouse?
I'm not that fond of Mrs Dalloway, I don't know why. And as for The Waves, I don't think I would choose to read it again should the opportunity ever arise. My sole memory of it is this: complicated. Orlando was a romp. Mrs Ramsey and Lily Briscoe are firmly fixed on the Isle of Skye, and Flush was a delight from beginning to end, though sadly less remarked upon, either in praise or criticism. I don't remember much about Jacob's Room, though it's supposed to be moving; so why don't I recall being moved? I must have been! No, all that comes to mind is a feeling of irritation, something grating...a lingering dissatisfaction.
Oh, it's all a state of mind: what state it's in, what else is interfering or influencing your impressions, and what data is essentially stored and what is lost.
But Between the Acts has always been (pardon the pun) a hard act to forget. In essence. How I long for a brain that could quote from memory! No, instead I'm left with sensations, a mark of my enjoyment, which, it's true, in some cases have proved false. Or it could be that on re-visiting I'm not susceptible to the tone or language that once spoke to me, on which I was borne along. Between the Acts left me with itch.
An itch that was only recently scratched, after an interval of some years – a good five years, I think - though it had occurred to me to scratch more than once during that time. A second, a third, a fourth reading of anything can often diminish the delicious sensations, spoil the first impression made on the mind; changes, instead of deepens your appreciation, and so I'm always hesitant to give in.
When I've done so in the past it's been a disappointment. The same reading spirit couldn't, or wouldn't, be captured. So if I do now it's rare, and only if the compulsion is strong or chance conspires to lay the same novel, read only once, again in my path, in a different printed edition to that which originally read.
That's how I came to re-read Between the Acts. By chance: finding a Vintage Classics edition where it shouldn't be. On the wrong shelf, in the wrong library. Serendipity!
I'm glad I took the hint. I almost didn't, but it being a nice legible copy persuaded me, as did the fact that it had no explanatory notes which I seemed to remember the Oxford World's Classics having.
And? Ah, yes, Virginia Woolf. Here you are, again, at your most lyrical, your most poetical; looser in language and freer in tone; in every character committed to the page.

Picture credit: Virginia Woolf, 1927 (source: Wikimedia Commons)

This post was penned in 2019 (I've since revisited Mrs Dalloway and had a change of heart.)