Thursday 17 September 2020

Crispy Fried Potatoes

Many nights ago I dreamt I was sitting on a wooden bench somewhere eating not chips but crispy cubes of potato from a paper cone, swinging my legs and admiring the view as I did so; a view I now can't remember, but I know it wasn't of the sea. It was of something green and yellow, an open flat space before me. And the day was fine: blue and white skies with a sun that was warm but not blazing, and a just right breeze. 
Anyhow, in my semi-comatose state and at one with the dream I picked up a dislodged ear plug and, thinking it was a 'chip', popped it in my mouth. And bit down, or tried to. Luckily, realising the texture wasn't right I came to and quickly took the offending (and by now wet) article out of my mouth. But I'd been so sure, before, that what I get would be crispy fried potato. It was a surprise, and displeasing, when I didn't.
What was going on? Had my brain gone into Homer Simpson Mode? Chips...chips...shudder...dribble. The mere image of them, and thinking I was already eating them, had made me want them. And I haven't touched the real thing in years; I'm more of a rice and pasta gal, and potatoes, if they're had, are in their jackets or peeled, baked or boiled. Besides, you never enjoy something as much as you think you're going to when you actually have it. Well, that theory was borne out in the dream too.
I thought this little episode was funny. Last night I tried to eat an earplug! Cue laughter, smirks; none. Why am I the only one to be amused? 
All others seemed to see was the danger. I could have choked; I could have swallowed the earplug. I hadn't considered that, and I still felt, when they voiced this in all seriousness to me, unconcerned. I hadn't; I had stopped myself. Well, okay, not me, my brain had; I presume the more sensible part.
But were they right? Should I have been able to act out what my dream self was experiencing? Could I have been not strictly speaking in a dream but in a lucid state? And have I ever done anything like this before, that I don't know of? I could set up a camera and film. No, creepy. And I would never be able to sleep with a lens pointing at me. It would be too weird to watch back, also.
Oh, why had I said anything to anybody! Raise a laugh – isn't she daft?- raise worries more like.
And so to expunge myself of these I went on a memory association trip and found: Nan.
In the kitchen in a floral print dress about to sound the gong for luncheon and open the film.
My baby's sick, my baby's sick, the wood pigeons lament; the gulls chime in with their high-pitch cries.
More pork, join in some sleepy New Zealand owls (what are they doing here?); a little bit of bread and no cheese, cheep some unidentifiable birds; who wears short shorts? says the Crow.
The opening song of the birds fades; the din of the gong reverberates.
Nan and the womenfolk dance, pass things through the serving hatch, to the men on the other side; or go through, from the kitchen to the dining room, from the dining room to the kitchen.
Kids and dogs get underfoot, run in and out, in and out, as the table is laid and people take up their accustomed places.
A mad house, though there are only three couples, three children and two dogs.
Quiet descends, within and without, as all are seated; the dogs, on their haunches, gradually slump, head on paws. The only sounds to be heard are polite murmurs of 'Yes, please' and No, thank you', as bread and butter and plates are passed and drinks are poured.
Lunch is served. A gentle hum of conversation, in-between grunts of appreciation and swallows and bites, resumes.
Fade out.
Ah, so the gulls, so far inland, had made me think of the seaside and Nan. Nan who would put crispy fried potatoes in a newspaper cone. And who, along with other members of the family, thought birds spoke and who would echo back, repeatedly, the wood pigeon's wail.

Picture credit: Potatoes in a Yellow Dish, 1888, Vincent van Gogh (source: WikiArt).

This post was penned in 2019.