Thursday 10 September 2020

Old Woman in Evidence

I saw quite a few waiting rooms in 2019, of one description or another – some of them were rooms, some of them areas only, a cluster of chairs round a table piled with old magazines – but mostly my doctor's. I'm not and have never been a regular visitor. My constitution is generally sound, or it was, and I have a man's (or should that be dog's) attitude to doctors – it's a serious concern if I walk through that door. I do not think I'm dying, like some men do, if I have a sore throat, cough, cold, suspicion of flu or viruses; pulled muscles, aching back, tendinitis, neuralgia. I just accept the discomfort and get on with it, occasionally with though mostly without something to take the edge off. 
Martyr! No! H'm possibly...my body is a temple.
And I should just say, before I continue, my surgery is good; my doctor's lovely, in spite of the odd admin mix-up: duplicate letters and phone calls, so that there were times I felt I was going mad. Haven't I had this conversation? Haven't I received this communication or made this appointment already?
Anyhow, last year I got to know that waiting room quite well, along with some others I wouldn't have otherwise had the occasion to see. And by doing so accumulated a whole shopping basket of tests, which had I gone in with a list would have read a little something like this: 1 physical examination; 1 planned surgical procedure (which didn't go ahead as proved unnecessary); 2 blood tests - 1 full MOT and 1 specific; 1 scan; 2 (very nearly 3) ECGs – the machine didn't like me or my heart didn't want to be read; and 1 clinical assessment. With of course subsequent follow-ups and consultations and an accompanying bundle of paperwork. I could start a file. And a fire, if I didn't want to leave it to posterity, and I don't. But whilst I'm living I suppose a paper record might come in handy.
All quite dizzying, really, when I was in it, and even when I look back. Am I still in its throes? The jaws of death. Well, okay, not death. Did I mention I can be a little melodramatic? Poetic licence. 
But am I in its throes: the rounds of professionals and appointments? Well, it's possible. I'm not a crystal-ball gazer, though some of my articles when published a year or so later are often quite prophetic. It's not a gift because I don't know when and if I'm tapping into it. In other words: Fat lot of good it does me. 
Am I writing like Isherwood yet? Christopher. That was an ambition. A year on maybe it still is and maybe I'm still reading him. A back catalogue of Christopher and his collection of persons. I should have taken him to these waiting rooms. 
I can never sit and read in them, not even idly flick through a very out of date magazine. No, I sit, alert like a dog, poised for action. My surgery is a warren of treatment rooms, so in my head I'm planning my strategy i.e. the quickest route to the right door from where I'm sitting and whose legs I might have to disturb, have to brush against. I'll have to be careful not to hit them with my handbag or elbow them – and my elbows are sharp - in the head or eye. I wouldn't want to add to anybody's ailments. Or add to mine by tripping over pram wheels or toddlers who have become bored with coloured bricks and are running around, waving their arms. And it could happen, not that I'm known to be clumsy but fretting makes something more liable to happen. Self-consciousness 101, but there isn't a room for that, not a physical one. Maybe a different surgery has one?
So, I sit and wait, on the edge of an uncomfortable seat, for my name to be flashed up on a screen and then called in a robotic female voice; usually I jump up as soon as my name appears rather than stay to hear how she might pronounce it, not that it's a difficult to say but because I seem to presume that the quicker I leave the waiting room the less people will put my person and it together. I mean, in that year alone, I was able to put quite a few names to local faces, and some of them stuck, so that if I see them around now it feels odd: I possess a detail about them and they don't know I have it.
What was my problem? I'm more like a woman of sixty-five than a woman of thirty-nine.

Picture credit: Portrait of a Lady in a Lace-edged Dress, 1915, Frank Dicksee (source: WikiArt)