Thursday 24 September 2020

The Strident Cry of the Peacock

Gerald Durrell, in one sentence, verbalised the peacock's shrill cry of 'help...
help!' so that after that, for the rest of that morning, I kept stopping whatever I happened to be doing to utter it. And just so you know I was at home and very much alone; it would have been rather odd if I'd been in public, don't you think, if I'd suddenly thrown my head back and let out a god-awful yell that sounded unmistakeably peacock-like. Durrell, I suppose, might have done that, had the coast been clear of people and the setting had been more country than market town, with peacocks in the vicinity, but I would have had none of those reasons. Not even youth for which allowances are often made.
And so, as Durrell imitated the language of tiger sniffing I practised the peacock's strident 'help...help!', reminding myself with each mimicked call of Lenny Henry, though wasn't his more parrot? A macaw, possibly? Um, maybe it wasn't a bird at all...
No, I can't nail Lenny's down, but Gerald had got it exactly, the cry, that is, of that particular fowl. Help! is exactly what a peacock conveys, falsely of course, for there's never anything wrong. No calamity, no emergency, just a strutting attention-seeking. This is my manor. Just got to get me some hens. Help...help! with tail-feathers fanned-out and head crown quivering might get them a-flutter; though on the rare occasions I've seen the spectacle the drabber peahens don't seem to take much notice, just carry on pecking the ground and minding their own business, just as I do if I happen to hear a male holler.
A peacock, then, is the bird equivalent of the boy crying wolf. You subconsciously register the call but don't bother to go and see what's the matter. I wonder what cry they make when they are in trouble, real trouble? It can't be the same, can it? A human would, why not a peacock? Animals can be just as dim-witted.
The cry once registered and identified with what makes it, though, can, even on recall alone – including imitations of – conjure up other images you associate with it, and for me, probably unsurprisingly, that happens to be a country house. The type of place you might expect to find a peacock; a place where they can lord it. With a pristine white or off-white façade and maintained gardens i.e. not jungles, but with the right amount of decoration and growth, and with or without a sweeping drive. Maybe some gravel so their tails could drag over it and make a whooshing noise. How impractical – they might swallow it! See, how the mind easily runs away with romantic visions. Note to self: erase the gravel and replace it with a beaten path.
And there's always one or two literary references. In this case, the mind brings forth Rumer Godden's Peacock Spring, though more for the remembrance of the peacock on the cover of that edition than for the story. However, and from memory also, I think it was set in Delhi, and peacocks must have featured, or at the very least a feather. Wasn't there an gardener by the name of...something like Ravi? See, the more you think, the more you remember, or in failing to drive yourself loopy; so you stop, and it comes, at a moment when you don't want it, but still the fact that it has is hugely satisfying. Well, it is if you're worried your memory is getting shabby.
And then there's the William de Morgan tile design of a peacock and a peahen. I spent yesterday evening trying to recall his first name. I got his wife's, an artist in her own right, first. Evelyn. And now I have a person, with the name and face of Gerald Durrell but with the voice of David Attenborough. I always seem to hear Sir David's well-known narrator tones when I read a Durrell, which, if you're not in the know, read like an H. E Bates, in the Larkins style. There's a chummy-feel to them, that makes you exclaim midway through and again at the end, even if you're not quintessentially English, 'How delightful!' And his keen observations of fowls and beasts and humans produce chortles, of the sort that threaten to break out into guffaws. You laugh with, you laugh at, you laugh and learn, and find yourself longing to visit a zoo, one near you or Durrell's in Jersey.

Book Recommendation: Beasts in my Belfry, Gerald Durrell

Picture credit: The House at Rueil, 1882, Edouard Manet (source: WikiArt).

This post was penned in 2019.