Thursday 15 October 2020

I, The Ghost

The author lays out the house. The reader is asked to visualise it: see it though their eyes and the eyes of their characters. This is where the action will take place; this is where the characters will return, singularly or together. The house is important. In solid fact and in memory. It doesn't have to be still standing, it doesn't have to be still lived in, it doesn't have to be inhabited by the narrator or anyone from the family, for what it once was and what it meant will always exist. Its rooms will remain as they were, as will its outside, in spite of any changes, any modernisation. If there was a Blue Room, it will always be the Blue Room, even if painted white or yellow, or papered with roses. The house remembers. As does its owners. Secrets concealed by the old; secrets revealed to the new, years later.
The house sets the scene, it steals the scene, it keeps time; time past, time instant, time to come. The house is the centre round which everyone else and everything else revolves; the house is the plot. The kitchen is the heart, the house itself is the brain.
The house contains and retains all the events that unfold. The everyday meals, the everyday chores, the celebrations, the catastrophes. Its walls record words, its floors, footsteps. The slam of doors echo long after the fact of being slammed or blown shut. The same stair always creaks in the same spot. A dog's paws make the same tap, tap, tap, tap on the kitchen lino; his tongue makes the same lap, lap, lap as he drinks from a bowl; the bowl scrapes. No sound is ever lost in a house. It's there, right there, waiting to be heard: can you hear it?
The house is a vessel; the house is its own person. The house doesn't forget: anything or anyone.
And we don't forget those that are special to us or those that have for some other reason become fixed, in time and place, in memory. We don't forget what they looked like, what they felt like, where they were, who lived next door. Nor how light filled the rooms; views, windows. Chimneys and roofs and sky; birds and trees and green pleasant country. Nor what rooms contained. Furniture, mirrors, pictures. Things and more things. Odds and ends.
Imagination tricks, but in it there's truth, the fullness of which might be restored the more you think back, the more you call up that house. The house never left – you left it; the house never died. You can visit whenever you like, if that is your wish.
Houses I don't know, though, I struggle to believe in. Completely, utterly with my very being. They might exist, but they don't exist to me, in me. The author instructs, provides detail, sometimes too much, but still I find I can't enter. I knock but the door isn't opened; the windows, curtains closed, are shut to me. My mind, too, shuts down. Words about this house are just words. Words I read but don't gather to my breast. I semi-comprehend, this is where such a character is, this is where this takes place, but don't ask me to tell you where this room is in relation to others or what it contains, or how, if I was there, I would get from here to the dining room, to the lounge. But seeing as I haven't in this instance been let in I don't have to worry; I merely follow with eyes only. Left to right; left to right.
Even on occasions when I've somehow managed to slip in I suffer the same confusion: a guest lost and left to her own devices in an unknown house, although where everything is has already been patiently and rather elaborately explained. Where was I told this passage led? If I go through here will I come out into the garden? What's this room? The author said, the author said... I have nothing. I retrace my steps, and now I'm not only lost, but I've lost where I was, where I had travelled to. And so, as before, to avoid this ground-hog scenario I just read. Left to right; left to right, without any real sense of place.
The house built; the mind won't construct it. The house spoken of; the mind escapes. I'm not in this house, I'm in another house entirely. A house I know. A house I've lived in, stayed in, wandered around. A house I can enter at will, at random. Its doors and windows are always open to me; its rooms are always filled with light. The furniture I knew is still there, waiting for my visit. Everything is just the same, though the house itself is empty; emptied of people. I, the ghost, exploring its abandoned rooms. 

Picture credit: Interior with a table, 1921, Vanessa Bell (source: WikiArt).

This post was written in 2019.