Thursday 29 October 2020

I Saw Orange

I looked down into my shopping basket and quite literally saw orange. Carrots, sweet potato, baked beans, Moroccan houmous in its orange packaging. Waiting in line to pay, I thought of a quip I might say to the cashier, something along the lines of: I must be drawn to orange today, then a chuckle, but as I wasn't on friendly terms with the woman on I thought better of it.
Well, that was partly the reason. The other was because I was partially deaf that day, so I worried that my small, insignificant joke might be lost in a whisper and I'd have to repeat it in a bellow - I really had no idea how loud or soft I was speaking – which might then echo throughout the store like a voice coming through the tannoy system and cause heads to look up. And the quip too, if heard, might not be understood, or be mistook for: oh dear, we've got a right one here, with a tight, humouring smile given. So, I remained silent, ruminating on it in my mind alone, my lips closed and possibly slightly curled. In other words, I amused myself, and maybe stirred other customers to shoot me curious stares.
I dwelt on it for the rest of the day. Orange. Beta-carotene. Vitamin A. Though surely my hands had reached for these items for more aesthetic reasons...liar, because two were on my shopping list. The own brand baked beans were an impulse buy as was the on offer houmous.
Was it an orange day? I was wearing brown: brown top, darker brown cardigan with khaki green trousers with red stripes and a brown belt. Brown is not orange but it's a complementary colour. An earth shade. The palette of autumn, of late sun.
Perhaps I just needed in that instant, the instant of the planned shop, more orange in my life.
Why?
The sun was out; it wasn't cold and grey, but bright and warm. The sun however was nowhere in sight. Somewhere else, I imagine, it could be spotted, red and small, an orange ball. Somewhere, in different, clearer skies, it was an orange in the air, just hanging there, without a tree from which to hang from.
The thought made me hungry, not, however, for oranges; I dislike peeling and eating that fruit – all that pith! - as well as its juice, with bits.
Still I wanted orange and orange I would have.
I snacked on dried apricots; I drank mango juice.
And when the sunlight faded to blue-black, I ate sliced carrot, raw and cooked; I ate sweet potato, diced, in a three-bean soup.
Did I need more sweetness to balance out my bitterness, was that it? Was I sour, inside? Without knowing it, was that possible?
Or were my eyes just attracted to the colour? The colour of cheerfulness, of sunshine and the south. Birds fly south, before Winter comes, should I? Turn my face to the sun like sunflowers do. Lift up my head to its orange face and yellow petals of light. Watch it rise; see it dip. Bask. Bask in its warmth.
Spring. Summer. Autumn. Winter. All year round.
Sun, summer; orange, autumn. Orange in autumn to compensate for the fading light; the dying sun. Carrots, squash, pumpkin. Sweet potatoes.
Why is the sun never compared to a peach? And if the sun is likened to an orange then what is the moon? A round melon; a golden apple; a blue cheese, French, of course. In shadow, a lemon segment waiting to be squeezed. A Cheshire cat grinning. A cat on the moon.
Why does it always have to be food? As if we could stretch out a hand and pluck it from the sky, like Adam and Eve did of the Tree. We've eaten of the sun, the moon; the world goes dark. Yet our appetites, our cravings continue unabated. Our days and nights unilluminated. For the Heavens have a hole, an unrepairable hole, in them. The oranges, the melons, the apples, the lemons consumed. Totally.
The future black; drained, bleached of orange. Oranges are a bitter fruit.
I saw orange. 

Picture credit: Redheaded Woman and Sunflowers, 1890, Paul Gauguin (source: WikiArt).

This post was written in 2019.