Thursday 10 December 2020

Telling Tales

I am a teller of tales. I speak the truth. My truth on me.
Other people – those who don't know me very well or say they are trying to, they'd like to get to know me – will distort me. Create their own versions of me, to suit their needs or what they want me to be.
Where memory fails, they rely on their notes or imagination. And dream up a fictional persona, with which I'm meant to agree: Yes, that's me.
It has my name, it has my features. The same eye and hair colour, the same date of birth. The likeness can't be disputed. The thoughts, the statements they've attributed to this person can.
I do not know her; I have never known her. Never, not as she's mirrored back to me.
The mirror held up is a circus mirror. The looker, looking at me through it, has a distorted eye.
The mirror is cracked from side to side: a crooked line across, a crooked line from the top to the bottom.
The looker has a story and I've been fitted to it, in it. Me to it, not it to me. Because had it been it to me I wouldn't fit. The story would have had to be changed. But as the story offers no alternative beginnings, middles and endings, I have to be changed.
You can't do to a real person what you can in a story. It's unethical. Especially if that story is based on life and the living of it. Especially if it becomes so contorted the person no longer recognises their own image when they look in a mirror. If what they see instead is nothing. As no version of them exists. There's a blankness; they have been wiped out. Cancelled. Deleted.
Their Truth obliterated.
The truth given to the fictional persona a lie, that they couldn't, they wouldn't live. Yet nobody would believe otherwise.
Their mind, their knowingness of self taken from them, almost destroyed but not quite. Although they feel powerless in the face of it. The mind, the knowingness the last to go.
Already the slippage has begun....
For they cannot talk of themselves as 'me' or 'I' any longer. They are 'it'. A thing with a mind and body that's not their own. If they do use 'I' or 'me' it's because they imagine someone else is saying it. There is a narrator: someone who speaks of them through them.
Me is now She. Behavioural traits belong to Her. The place the me inhabited grows smaller, the size of a point of a needle. She fills the heart.
She is now the Captain of the ship. Me is a lowly member of the crew. The parrot that sits on her shoulder and nibbles at her ear, and doesn't try to escape because there's nowhere to go. Me may not be in charge but this is Home.
The ship is nothing like it used to be, is nothing like it used to look. A sentence has been handed down and it's for life. The fictionalised truth on record now, and referred to regularly. Brought up in discussions or the mind's filing cabinet opened up and checked against. Everybody does it, everybody that must be engaged with: from friends and family to civil servants. That is their Truth. That Truth was authorised, weighed and judged to be right, therefore it must be right.
Me lost. It was too hard to fight Truth versus Truth. Me resigned the self to that Fate. The fate mapped out: the path to a 'normal' self. To a self that was acceptable. That didn't know anything. That had no enthusiastic interest in anything. To enthuse was wrong. To have likes and dislikes was wrong also. To be invested in anything was too irregular. To know Self was too unusual. Self had to be shut up, locked away, hidden from view. Or be so tortured with mind games and by questioning tones that Self agreed to the coup: She was the only hope, She was for the best. Anything to be left alone.
Else the old Self would be banished. Vanquished. Laid on a pyre in their old ship, set aflame and pushed out to sea. Given the funeral of a Viking: go down in flames.
Me didn't trust that She would furnish that honourable death; all the world is a prison now. 

Picture credit: The Funeral of a Viking, 1893, Frank Dicksee (source: WikiArt). 

This post was written in 2019.