Thursday 31 December 2020

Wheat Dreams

Wheat at night is like cheese. It disturbs my sleep, gives me weird dreams. Dreams that I can only vaguely remember when I awaken, which pieced together make no sense at all. And the scraps aren't even all illusions, some are drawn from life. Like for instance when I dreamt on a wheat night about a door-key as large as a spade, which sounds rather Bluebeard-like – though it wasn't stained with blood – before I remembered the pub where the key to their storage shed is kept on an industrial kitchen spoon. The sighting of which happens regularly and always amuses. Why are they trying to get into their shed with a spoon? A slotted spoon. And using the handle end too. Ah, the key's on it. Now I smile knowingly if someone else is witnessing it for the first time and wondering why aloud.
So, my wheat dreams, you see, are all muddled up. Life, art, fantasy. Past, ghosts of, and sometimes ghosts to come: those I have not yet met and may not ever if instead I take a different course and so paths don't cross. They are then just a dream face who bear no resemblance to anyone I know nor anyone I've seen who will quickly fade and be forgot for there will be no life trigger.
Faces from the distant past though are unnerving. Why are you visiting me? Why now? And why not ever on a non-wheat night when my last meal hasn't been inspired by the Italians or accompanied with bread? If they came on such a night I might be able, in my sleep, to stick with the vision and not instead have many successive broken dreams. With no beginnings, no endings, just middles. Unsatisfactory middles. What? Who? Where? Abstract and cubist-like. Where my inward eye struggles to adjust to these shapes within shapes, shapes over shapes, shapes concealing, hiding what they most want me to see. Hard, sharp, no softness, no rounded edges, just distortion. The eye has entered a less friendly Mr. Men and Little Miss land. A country filled with painting upon painting by Franz Marc or August Macke. The seen and the unseen. A town of bowler hats and men raining from the skies with apples as faces. I've poured over too much Magritte. Eaten bread with my cheese and then looked some more, and seen Napoleon, standing, with his back to me, looking out to sea. I know it's Bonaparte and yet his back looks nothing like I imagined. I want to laugh at his stature.
And then I wake, I drift. I toss and turn. I mumble or cry out. The darkness has turned grey, dark grey...I'm pulled under.
I'm in a bar, there's a sparrow sipping from a glass. He flies to his master and deposits amber liquid into his mouth. Now it's night and I'm outside where a man is standing on a roof and wailing his lungs out, wails to scare those within as if he were Hamlet's father. His son does not come to meet him.
I wake...I speak, eyes shut: There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.' Whence has that come from? These lines are not in Lamb's prose version. I shouldn't know them. Who is speaking through my mouth? The great man himself? Is he in the room?
I peek...it's dove grey. Night has been pushed further away, but it's not time yet to welcome day. A new day. I turn over.
And in my dose see a figure I take to be a young Laurie Lee walking, walking, walking under a blazing sun. I have gone back in time, to a time when I wasn't a thought; my parents weren't either. The imagination is strong, as strong as a midday sun.
Who's this approaching? A reverend with a camera, or a nun? No, it's a woman cloaked in black and it's me that's approaching her, not her me, for she leans against a whitewashed stone villa, her gaze elsewhere and her face a wise but dry cracked mask. She puts a finger to her lips; who is she silencing? Bewildered I look away, down at my feet, where there's a pregnant black cat (her familiar?) winding, winding itself around my legs. I look up, the woman is gone, but the sun, the sun is beating.
The light is gold, a white-gold, a gold-white. Day must follow night. The wheat has been gathered in.

Picture credit: The Gleaners, 1889, Camille Pissaro (source: WikiArt).

This post was written in 2019.