Thursday 7 January 2021

Four Decades

A new year, a new decade. No, read on before you correct me, I haven't got the year wrong. I realise we've entered upon 2021 and that 2020 has just gone, but my new personal decade starts now. Well, okay, I tell a lie, little white lie that hasn't made my nose grow in the telling of it, as I started out on mine roughly three weeks ago, but who embarks on anything seriously around Christmas time? People are too caught up in the rush, the last minute buying and wrapping, and the fight to secure the perfect gift that says 'You're amazing!' or 'I Love You', and the right size turkey. Personally none of that really floats my boat, but this was not meant to be yet another post-Christmas post on my Scrooge 'bah humbug' attitude. I
do Christmas, just less of it.
I do my 'festive' birthday less too, including the recent 4-0. Four nil to me. Four decades knocked flat. Four decades that were nothing to write home about; home's just down the road anyway so why write them a letter, an e-letter? Four decades where nothing really stands out. I was there; I'm still here. I grew from this big to this big. I did this, I did that. I went there, I returned. I tried, I gave up. I gave up, it seems to me, a lot and in some cases too soon. But you know what you know and you don't what you don't. And in others, well, you just know when it's not right, so the effort is not worth it because it will cost. Who will it cost? You. Just you.
But I gave too; and gave and gave, and drew back, when I had nothing left to give, everything had been, or was about to be, squeezed out of me, and when that was the last, the only, the best solution. The more you give and the more you take on the more you'll be taken advantage of. All lay load on the willing horse. I learned that the hard way and chose not, in spite of my birth sign, to continue being that willing horse. It wasn't winning whatever race this was that's for sure. The race to the knacker's yard? If it was I threw the jockey off and cleared a fence and still startled by this revelation galloped away. Into the sunset, to a better brighter future.
Did I ? Did I heck! No. In human terms, I hid, I avoided, I placed obstacles in the way. If I did this, if I did that, the old patterns would resume. The work would come home with me. Or I would go to it, to an empty but quiet office. Just me and humming technology. Too easy when you live on top of work and feel bound to complete, to tackle what you hadn't been able to because there just wasn't enough time in the average working day, the average working week when other demands were constantly being made. It was little like daylight robbery except I was the thief and not the victim, though of course I wasn't stealing anything; or a trespasser, on the premises when I shouldn't have been in spite of having keys and the entry codes. The only person I was stealing from was myself: I was stealing time, but anything to get ahead of the game and stop worrisome thoughts. That, I told myself, was the aim. That and to make my life, the new week, easier.
But there are limits to all that giving and I found them. A train wreck, a car crash. Yeah. Almost, almost. Nearly.
Life was too rushed, life was too busy, life and work couldn't be kept up with. I couldn't bluff. The mask kept falling, and falling, then it fell off and after that would only stay on for short periods; periods so short that anything lengthier was a battle of will and personality. I will get through this. I can do this, I can do this, I can do this. It will be fine. The heart will pump, the legs will run, the arms and hands will lift and carry, the brain will compute some things, not others, but it will do its best. It will cause the mouth to say stupid things or will make the mouth dumb and dry, so dry the tongue sticks to its roof. The body at fever pitch. The day divided into parcels of time: nearly there, nearly there, nearly home-time.
Yes, there is some good in selfishness, if you can find a pleasing way to frame it so as not to affront others or confound others with it. They wouldn't understand, if you were honest, the price paid for being responsible, dutiful, helpful, loyal. They couldn't be brought, if you tried, to see the chariot of the mind overturned and the horses yoked to it bolting.
So, cloak what you feel will be misunderstood, and be steadfast.

Picture credit: The Death of Hippolytus, 1860, Sir Lawrence Alma-Tadema (source: WikiArt).

This post was written November 2019.