Thursday 3 October 2019

Devil's Horns

Don't ever try to fashion ear muffs from a plain headband with black devil's horns and two pairs of balled-up socks skewered on each end because they'll be lousy. You'll still hear everything you were, in desperation, trying to drown out as well as be unable to find a comfortable sleeping position. The band will dig into your scalp, the socks won't cover your lug-holes or stay there, and the horns will rub against the headboard. In a very short time you'll rip them off, sling them across the floor, with eyes shut, and say a prayer asking your ears to adjust to the racket and for sleep, in God's name, to come.
The racket, in my case, was the loud strains of Come On Eileen and Diana Ross' I'm Coming Out. The tracks I most loathe, which even if I was up and in a party mood I'd sit out or leave the venue. So in the pre-dawn hours they were most unwelcome. Eileen, don't go; Diana, stay home. And turn it down!
Why hasn't the cheesy music moved on? The very same were being played when I was going to teenage discos, and were not then, for me, the ultimate of a good night, though others gyrating around me obviously disagreed.
Now, Bon Jovi's Livin' On A Prayer, that's a track. But not at 2am. Outside your window. In a rousing chorus, fingers in the air, rock-style. And not when it's done to death, or might very well end up being the cause of one.
The Derby came to town. Yes, it certainly did. A little excess – in spirit – is to be expected.
But this is pretty much standard fare if you breathe and share the same air as a pub, particularly one whose market is predominantly 18-30. Still, we all need something to gripe about, and this is mine. One of them. And it has given me, along with some nights of poor sleep, some funny incidents to remark upon, as well as tested my tolerance, which we all need to do from time to time.
Earlier that same evening, I witnessed from behind flimsy curtains, aside from the usual clowning about (and that's just the staff!), two paunchy and balding suited men who were (I estimated from up high) over thirty telling some tall tale (again I presume) to another equally suited slightly-the-worse-for-wear man, whereupon whenever they reached a bridge or chorus performed a almost perfectly timed side-by-side dance routine: a spin then sidestep, step behind, step behind. They really should learn how to spot, I remember thinking, it would help their balance enormously. If I'd been prepared I could have held up a board with their score.
So really, I should complain less because instances like this gives me material, as well as a feeling of superiority which I dislike but can't ignore, though this, I think, has more to do with height: the number of feet (from the ground) from which I observe, as then those below seem diminutive whilst I preside, in my own domain, above, where everything, of course, appears to me to be of normal scale. Not that this is a reliable measure of (my) intelligence, because what kind of fool tries to make ear muffs from devil's horns and socks? In my defence, noise you can't control makes you either flip out or resort to any ingenious method you can think of, or concoct at an ungodly hour.
That experiment, as you know, wasn't successful. But nor have I since then invested in ear plugs, because, in the past, upon waking up having put in squashed and squeezed and rolled foam plugs (and then lost them in the course of the night) all my sinuses have been snuffly. Why that should be I don't know, yet it only happens if I block up my ears. Instead I tend to take to my bed when the garden's been cleared, and only on special extended licence occasions wait it out.
The experiment of living almost on top of a pub is much harder to deem success or failure, since without it my untutored studies of human behaviour would be less rich; there'd be less pickings. Yes, I'm often inconvenienced and hear and see more than I wish to see or know about, but I wonder, when again the thought of moving occurs to me, if somewhere quieter I'd be bored. Devil's horns wherever they are worn exercise the mind.

Picture credit: The Little Devil, 2008, Marina Pallares (source: WikiArt).

All posts published this year were penned during the last.