Thursday 24 October 2019

The Cry of the Crow

4:45 am and I was dragged up from sleep by the sharp repeated cry of a crow. A sound far more harsh than the night bark of a fox, and far more fretful.
The dream I'd been swathed in instantly disturbed and just as instantly forgotten as I broke through the surface to wakefulness, turning from my right side onto my back to lie still under the covers and listen, intent on trying to figure out, aurally, the cause for alarm and if there was any need to get up and see.
As it turned out, there was, for the cawing continued for some minutes, in the same unbroken vein, its pitch increasing and its tone more urgent, so that I soon abandoned any hope of returning to sleep, without rising from my bed.
I lifted the blind with its Magritte-style blue skies and clouds like a veil from the window to, instead of a young dawn with rose-red fingers, a muted canvas, against which the spring green of leaves, the beige brick of the buildings opposite and the elephant grey of the tarmac beneath intensified to different shades than when touched by golden rays, the throne of Dawn.
The spectacled eyes absorbed this - the subdued light and its strange effect - despite the continuous, and desperate, cry of the crow, which not once during this time had been espied. Anywhere. Not perched in a tree or on a roof, nor in the sky, in circling flight and bullied, nor on the ground, entangled in any rubbish strewn among the few parked cars. Nowhere in plain sight and yet it could be heard, plainly, its noise carried from wherever it was, above, same level or below.
Koww, koww, koww, eh-aw, eh-aw. What exactly was it trying to transmit with its overzealous squawking? A bad human or, as Ovid, the Roman poet thought, rain. The latter seemed more likely, given the dulled canvas and since nothing else – no other birds, a late-to-bed fox or a even a grey squirrel, and certainly no humans it being a Sunday - were in evidence. There was no other sound disrupting the quiet, nor any other faces peering from behind windows, scanning the area with an expression of irritation and concern.
Had the quiet persisted, undisturbed, and inconspicuous of birds, and had I still been examining the view at that hour, I might have been able to liken it to Avernus – a place without birds.
That, however, was not to be, for the voice of the crow, though unsighted in the act, made it seem, despite appearances, more jungle-like, a dense landscape of foliage and growing heat. The sun yet to burn back the cooler tones of day and then, with it, bring sweat and a light to daze. To blind the eyes. And bring on thirst to confound the mind further.
I lost myself, for a moment, in the mythic reality of it, as I stood there at the window, believing I was in topics, on a platform made from, made in and supported by trees, and even possibly sucking a pebble to assuage a dry parched throat; my drinking water long finished and the vessel it was drawn from turned upside down. Could some clean water hole be found? when there'd been no rains and the tributaries were dust. Brown cracked rivulets as if no water had ever run through them. Listening to that crow cry, my first thought of the day, had this been my true location, might have been: could this be, really be, the harbinger of rain?
Welcome rain. Monsoon rain. Rain to stand out in. With face upwards, mouth open and arms spread wide, as wide as they could possibly go, like the limbs of a tree; the palms cupped to catch drops.
Possible. Possible. Possibly. The fantasy slip-slipped away. Dust.
My curiosity settled, I drew the blind, with its Magritte-style blue skies and clouds, back down and returned to the still-warm cave of covers, where as soon as my body sank into the mattress and my head again rested on the dented pillow, the cry of the crow ceased. Its silence, and this peace, almost a danger in itself. Had the danger passed or had it come?
I succumbed to some sort of sleep. A sleep that was light but went on, so that I was quite perturbed when I did again awaken. To the same day, with no chariot of sun; or the cry of the crow, revived.

Picture credit: Crow, Ohara Koson (source: WikiArt).

All posts published this year were penned during the last.