Thursday 10 October 2019

Turned Detective

I think I've left quite enough passage of time to write (and expose) the following, though all I have to back it up is my word, my own detective work and a hunch that the information I'd found was dead on target. Nothing was ever corroborated, verbally or in writing, nor was the information forthcoming when I met the person to whom I would report to should I be successful, and I didn't press that person because well, it was a weird situation and I didn't really want to have that conversation: to have what I thought confirmed, nor to have to spell out, in person, my reluctance to be further involved.
Now, I'm not a investigative journalist nor an undercover reporter but this to me, then as of now, had the hallmarks of an exposure piece like that shown on Panorama or Dispatches. I'm not sure what I would have found had I gone deeper, or if I'd have liked it, though I think it's safe to say I would have found it seedy and felt uncomfortable about facilitating these services.
Maybe you, however, will think I'm prudish...perhaps I am.
Maybe I'm too distrustful and moralistic. Judge for yourselves.
*
Lesson 1 – Be careful answering ads that are (deliberately?) vague in detail
June, last year, I answer an ad for a part-time post as an admin assistant/receptionist/PA where salary and duties were listed, but no mention was made about the nature of the business other than that it was a start-up. A week later I receive a reply from the director inviting me to an interview where I was advised I would learn more about what she does and what she was looking for.
Lesson 2 – Turn detective and chase clues
In none of the subsequent emails exchanged agreeing (and confirming) date, time, venue and contact numbers etc. was any company information divulged: no company name and first name basis only. I even had to probe for the office address where we were due to meet – I had the postcode which only gave a rough location. I had no real suspicions at that point, and had planned to be more open-minded; entering into it less prepared than usual. But that instinct to want to know never dies and so I attempted to google businesses registered to the shared office building. No match. Next I googled the contact number I'd been given and bingo!
A cleaning company offering nude (and clothed) services. Oh God, it could only happen to me! Do I pull out? No, it was too late (and rude) to do so, plus I admit I was curious. Do I go and let on, ask outright? Could my internet-gathered intelligence be wrong? Please let it be wrong. Please let it wrong. All these thoughts flashed through and yet I already knew I was spot on. Still my mind said: go along. But how to play it, how to react?
Lesson 3 - Conceal (don't reveal) what you know
The interview date arrived. At the venue, after I'd loitered outside and felt decidedly dodgy doing so – the director was unlisted on the intercom and I didn't know what floor she was on – I called her, she came down and led me to an upstairs broom cupboard: basically a space big enough for a table and two chairs, and from there the interview proceeded as you would expect. The nature of the business was confirmed as cleaning and that they wanted to expand geographically as well as possibly introduce further services: carpet and window cleaning (I almost choked on suppressed laughter), but it was left at that, apart from the fact that the workforce was all female (and freelance) visiting male clients and there was a lone working policy. I waited, with bated breath, but nothing further came. Perhaps I should have pressed...but maybe she, like me, was sussing me out.
Lesson 4 - Don't think it's over till it's over
Naturally (well this is me we're talking about) the inevitable occurred: an offer was made. I declined, excusing myself with a half-truth to maintain my cover. Until now.

Picture credit: Collage for Nude with White Flower, 1994, Roy Lichtenstein (souce: WikiArt)

All posts published this year were penned during the last.