Thursday 17 October 2019

H. of the Stumble

A while ago I realised, sometimes to my amusement and often to my dismay, I stumble more over words. The spoken word.
When this occurred, fatally you might say, I don't know, since it mostly happens in those moments where everything - talk and body language - is either improvised or governed by natural impulses, as well as at times when my self-awareness is heightened; but as those exchanges are rare it's not then there all the time since most of the minutes and hours that make up the day are spent in silence or in a one-way chat: either with myself or addressed to a screen.
A babble would imply a rush or a stream, words forced out in one breath with no beat between them; a stutter or stammer suggests words that are stuck, like a woman in labour alternately panting and pushing until baby's delivered; whereas tongue-tied expresses a knot or the tip sliced in two, the ends tied in a bow so that words are mispronounced, which, to correct, have to be sounded differently; and lost for words intimates the tongue's been intentionally removed, or numbed deliberately and may only be shocked back to feeling with an ice-cube.
No, these stumbles, these falls have nothing in common with the above. Nor any term (that I know of) that completely conveys the temporal disconnect between brain and mouth, much like an intermittent and poor signal. People in remote areas will undoubtedly understand what I'm talking about. Except the experienced technical hitch is not entirely that either; it's not just that pathway as there's also the inability to formulate recognisable words: those that would be instantly recognised by another when said, as well as the selection of them from the thesaurus in my head. Usually what happens is that two get conjoined and remain so when spoken, like Siamese twins who require medical invention to survive, or more appropriately in this case an explanation in the Oxford Dictionary.
I'm scaling a hill or mountain -metaphorically speaking for I would never do that in real life, well, only out of necessity, not for pleasure or adventure- and there are too many footholds to choose from, so that as a foot is suspended mid-air the rest of me slips and slides, just a little bit, until I find the firmest and nearest placing, while dust rises and small stones tumble downwards.
Movements quick: a grab, a toe drag; that's what it's like the art of small talk sometimes, all the time studying another's face to see how it settles. Comprehended, puzzlement or brushed aside? Knowing that what you've said is not wrong but it's not right. Because it sounds like gibberish to your ears.
The equivalent to it, I imagine, is a mini-stroke, except in this instance you're aware it's happening while those you're addressing remain unaware. Then, in those moments, I feel foolish. Blathering idiot, I'm thinking, whilst looking to see if it's been noticed. The words are just not there when I want them to be, or where I want them to be either.
And like a mini-stroke, you don't when or where it will strike, or whether you'll trip up or just fall, fall, fall, and be quite unable to pull anything coherent or appropriate from your usual hat of words. Mostly it happens face-to-face, though it has also been known to occur on the phone when I don't know with whom I'm speaking or if I'm nervous for example about making and taking a call.
But it's the loss of words that bothers me. The not knowing what to say; the right, the correct way to respond, at a pace that's both suitable and socially expected. But then I seem to have lost too knowing when to be quiet and when to chime in. When to attempt a throwaway (and often silly) remark, or an anecdote which would put me on an even par with other speakers. Similar to how when your calf muscles go into spasm you can still talk, though there's a good chance your sentences might be interspersed with oh, oh, oh (to match your winces), and therefore add very little, in the way of effect or sense, to the conversation.

Picture credit: Stig of the Dump, Edward Ardizzone (source: Folio Society News & Blogs)

All posts published this year were penned during the last.