Thursday 31 October 2019

Beer

The alarm clock had stopped at half past five. Groan, what was the real time then? I don't keep a phone by my bed as I don't want that thing near my head, emitting its dubious waves and killing or transmuting cells;the scientific evidence then later laid at my door if I should suffer any age and mobile-related ailment.
And anyway, I'm one of those who likes my 'off' time, rather more than my 'on' time. And no, I'm not talking menstruation. How crass. Typical of a no-holds-barred feminist. No, I'm definitely not that, not according to modern standards and campaigns, or even those of earlier i.e. of the bra-burning or marching placards.
I was referring to those who are really addicts who cannot bed down without a blue light, held aloft, and so deprive themselves of sleep and appear the next morning bug-eyed. Me, I bed down with a book, a book book, a real physical book, and that's it.
Anyhow, sleep had been had, that night, the night before it and the night before that, but this morning I fished my small bedside clock out of its resting place – the beside drawer – to read its hands as half past five, failing to notice there was no audible tick or movement, the former being why overnight it's consigned to a drawer, and thought, 'No, not yet. It's far too early.' Then for some reason I looked again and realised what you already know.
It was two hours out. Perfect.
I'm not, for once, exercising my sarcastic wit, for my body clock is set to that time, or thereabouts; sometimes it takes away a half hour of slumber.
Now, I didn't jump out of bed as you might expect or crawl out either, I just got up which I assume most human beings do. One leg followed another, then before I knew it I was standing.
The rest, as in the usual routine, occurred as it ought with no deviations, apart from, of course, replacing the clock's battery with another, and once again setting its hands ticking. As well as correcting the time it kept. The tick, however, in my noiseless bedroom seemed louder and more echo-like. Can different makes of batteries do that? Cause a clock to have a more forceful presence? Or, was it before run down and so diminished its output, in sound and motion? The latter seems more logical somehow, but is time, or the pieces that keep it, that rational? No matter. For it would most certainly be going in the drawer. Tonight and ever after.
It was a day, however, for clockwork. Where I couldn't like a Joan Aiken tale say: but today is Tuesday. It wasn't; it was a day (a Thursday) when things of this sort happen, as too are the occasional Wednesdays.
Wednesdays are for stationary humming refrigerated trucks, which can literally drive me nuts. Sat there, unmoving, as the goods are unloaded, outside my windows, and drowning out any other external sounds, like those you might wish to hear, and interfering with internal thoughts, which although perhaps not very interesting nevertheless need to be thought, and need relative quiet to form.
But Thursdays are regular – you know they're coming, the day of the week as well as the arrival of this delivery, the sounds of which will infiltrate for a good forty-five minutes. And I'm always in. I somehow haven't managed to time it that I'm ever out. Or maybe I'm in deliberately to moan. To curse 'them' aloud to my walls. And perhaps, perversely, feel good (about myself) for suffering it...
This truck reverses into the designated space, by the pub's kitchen back door, with an awful squawking, like a chicken being tightly held by the neck, and then the tinny rolling and clanking begins. The stainless steel kegs rolled as Humpty-Dumpty might have been rolled if he hadn't fallen, but handled roughly by beefy men in hard-wearing gloves, and sometimes support belts like those worn by competitors for The World's Strongest Man. Tough job, delivering beer, though less of a feat than that of lifting cars or successive boulders, or pulling cabs of trucks a measured distance.

Picture credit: Beer Tankards, 1885, Vincent van Gogh (source: WikiArt)

All posts published this year were penned during the last.